Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2010, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ownerlock woes

Yea, I think by cleaning the contacts and also giving the contact arm alittle more bend gives it a better connection.
I had been experiencing the "ownerlock" symptom for a couple years and it became progressively worse with time to where it wouldn't start at least once a week. Wife was OK with sitting for 10 minutes each time, but I wasn't.

Thanks for sharing
Old July 5th, 2010, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Another Passs Lock Question

I know you are probably tired of Pass Lock troubles but mine acts differently.

I have a 2002 Impala.

About two months ago the security light(I call it a light but it is on the message center) came on while driving. It goes out when I restart the car. If the motor is off and the key on the message alternates between battery and security. The light comes on at random intervals after I start the car. Sometimes it might come on several times a day, sometimes I can driver for hours and it doesn't come on.

The car has always started although sometimes(once every three to four days) there is a one to two second delay when I turn the key to start before the starter kicks in.

I have tried bypassing the key sensor with a resistor but it never changed the symptoms.

After reading the posts I am concerned it may be the BCM. On one or two occasions the trunk was open when I am sure that I closed it. Also my car is set to lock the doors in drive and unlock then in park. Once or twice they did not unlock when I put the car in park.

On another occasion the cooling fan kept running for a long time and would not stop until I started the car and shut it off again.

If it is the BCM is there any I can test it and find out for sure? Also can I buy it and install it myself or does it have to be programmed by the dealer?

I do all my car maintenance myself and am knowledgeable in electronics and computers.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When my contacts were burnt, the security light would come on while driving down the
road. It would start most of the time then, but it was a pain having the security light on
half the time. When my contacts are clean, the security light never came on at all.
Eventually it will start popping on, then i will know it's time to clean again.
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default Passlock fix procedure request

Originally Posted by jondoe28
Had this done a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't acted up once, security hasn't come on at
all either. Hired our tractor mechanic to do it. Said 2 contacts were burnt on key switch.
Used sand paper to clean them, and good to go. Cut and pasted from another site:

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you detailed instructions for free. Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.
I am having the same problem with 2002 Impala 3.4 L. Would you mind sending me the procedure for removing switch and cleaning contacts. Autozone repair guide shows procedure on removing one from steering column but 2002 Impala is on the dash so did not want to try using their instructions. Also do you need to relearn BCM module when doing this? Thanks for your help. My email is dkfm@hotmail.com
Old August 20th, 2010, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ugh!

K guys, I know there is a cheaper solution here......I hope!

Just got back from dealership....dunt dunt dunnnn!!!

They stated:

Bad Fuel Regulator
Bad Passlock Sensor

Here are the issues I described to them:

Noticed Security Light flashes while driving - looked it up...told them it was a passlock problem and the book refered to a fuse...I did not find one in the book diagrams and was told that if the fuse was bad then the car wouldn't turn over period.

Light does not come on when key is on ACC, but does when key is ON.

When I start, it does not want to turn over until I start pumping the pedal.

Starts up sometimes, others it studders and stalls.

The other day it was on the entire time on the free way.....got off.....stopped at a light, and car would not excel, I had to turn it off and back on again...

I have never had to wait for 10 mins like some people state on this thread.

My trunk is relectant to shut, takes me a few times of really slamming it.

My car radio often stays on after I turn it off AND EXIT!!! I have to reopen the door to shut the radio off so the battery doesn't die on me.

What do you guys think???? Can you suggest a cheaper fix? If it does sound like the sensor, can I find it somewhere else and have instructions or diagrams to fix??? I WOULD SOOOO APPRECIATE!!!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

I am also having problems with my 2000 Tahoe and the passlock code, I have an after market remote starter which worked fine for a year, now that won't start it neither will the key in the ignition, I have to wait 10 minutes for it to reset then good to go. One mechanic blames the remote starter, the shop who put the remote starter in said that 2000 Tahoe's are know to have this problem but didn't know the remedy for it, my security light also stays on for what seems like eternity, sometimes comes on then goes off automatically, any help with this problem would be appreciated.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM
CF Junior Member

16,500 views, must be quite a few people w/ problems. Your tahoe problem sounds exactly
like my impala problems. Clean the contacts like i mentioned and you should be fine for close to a year, then they will become burnt again and start acting up again.
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jondoe28
Had this done a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't acted up once, security hasn't come on at
all either. Hired our tractor mechanic to do it. Said 2 contacts were burnt on key switch.
Used sand paper to clean them, and good to go. Cut and pasted from another site:

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you detailed instructions for free. Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.
johndoe28, Would you send me the detailed instructions on removing the ignition switch and cleaning the contacts on the 2002 Impala? My email is dkfm@hotmail.com
Old August 31st, 2010, 3:22 PM
CF Junior Member

I don't have detailed instructions on removing the switch. That was a cut and paste
from another site. Our tractor mechanic does it, he said it's pretty easy. You have to
remove part of the dash to get the key switch out, then go from there.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

if im having the same issues what you guys recommend me to do???? please help me

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!