Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Stuck Horn

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2008, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Horn

Hi All,

I'm a newcomer to the site, and I'm also not incredibly car savvy. Yesterday the horn on my '02 Impala LS began blaring non-stop. I hadn't driven the car at all that day either. I ran out to my car, tried pressing on the horn which I could hear it sound like it wanted to shut off but it never did. I tried turning the car on and pressing the horn with no luck. Eventually (with the car shut off), I smacked the horn a couple of times (by horn I mean my steering wheel) and it shut off. I pulled the horn fuse out of the car just so it wouldn't do this again, say, at 3am or something.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this?

Things to note:
Temperature was about 12ºF, it had just snowed/everything was covered in ice. I called Chevy and they said without looking at it, they think maybe the horn relay got stuck for whatever reason. They recommended seeing if it happens again, and if it does, bring it in to a dealer.
Old February 11th, 2008, 1:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Stuck Horn

Yeah its very possible that the horn relay stuck. The cold generally won't cause that. Replace the relay and if it does it again, you know it wasn't the relay that was the problem.
Old February 11th, 2008, 6:32 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Stuck Horn

Relays don't turn themselve on and just get stuck. I can see it geting stuck if you pressed the horn and it wouldn't turn off.
It sounds to me like the contact for the horn are making contact. If you can hit the steering wheel and make it stop then I would think it is in there. Unfortunately they horn button ispart of the airbag module and could prove to be a costly repair. If it is what the problem, you could get an aftermarket horn button placed on the dash for about $25 if money is a problem