Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

GOING TO FIND OUT HOW FAST A '06 IMPALA SS V-8 WILL RUN FLAT OUT!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 12:53 AM
art
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOING TO FIND OUT HOW FAST A '06 IMPALA SS V-8 WILL RUN FLAT OUT!!!!!!

Does anybody know what the top speed of an 06 Impala SS with the 5.3 V-8 is? I know it would be a computer limited speed, but would be interested in knowing just where the limiter would kick in. I think the 18" tires are good for about 156 MPH but I'm pretty sure the car would probably not run that fast. I had mine out on a dry, flat section of 4 lane with absouletly no other cars around and punched it out once and it jumped up to 120 MPH pretty fast and I chickened out at that point and let off of it. It was still pulling pretty hard at 120 MPH and I wondered how much more it had before the computer stopped the acceleration. The car is definately strong, I had a '64 and '65 Impala SS and both were pretty strong, but they would not hold up to these new Impala SS.
Old May 15th, 2007, 9:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2006 IMPALA SS TOP SPEED????

should have kicked in before there if it is gonna, Im pretty sure most GM cars are 175-180 kph...around 100-110 mph, I dont kow if the SS with the V8 are goverened tho, havent tried one and havent had acustomer let me know yet. My maxx is (was)at 175kph, but I ahd it taken out when I flashed it, havent tried it since then,
Old May 28th, 2007, 1:45 AM
art
CF Junior Member

Default GOING TO FIND OUT HOW FAST A NEW IMPALA SS WILL GO!!

Nobody can tell me what an '06 or '07 Impala SS with the V-8 will run flat out, so I'm going to find out. There is a 2 mile stretch of highway down in the bottoms that doesn't have any driveways or intersections because it's in a flood plain. It's great place to run a car out because you can have people on the other end witha cell tell you when thereare no cars coming so you have the road all to yourself. I'm going to get a friend to ride in the back seat with a video camera on the speedo to document what this beast will do from -0- to whatever it will run wide open. I'veprogramed the limited up probably beyond what the car will run and hoping for something just over 150 mph.I'll post the video somewhere.Anybody want to ride shotgun? [sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old May 28th, 2007, 8:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: GOING TO FIND OUT HOW FAST A NEW IMPALA SS WILL GO!!

Had my 07 SS up to 130mph I had to let off because the road was going to start to be to winding to handle. Car handled great and the sound was awesome.
Old May 30th, 2007, 1:44 PM
CF Pro Member

156mph according to GM
Old June 5th, 2007, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

i bet i could take you, lol i have a 67 firbird convertable (with a 350 vortex with flat heads and all that good stuff, **** pontiac needed some chevy power) i also have a 1986 chevy truck with a 383 stroker ma baby, and a 1977 elcamino with abuilt 350.....and if i still had my 64 impala with that 283 id take it out and put in this 427 390 horse i just got off a guy, lol but yeah im not saying impalas or new impalas are **** at all, infact i ove impalas, but im just saying i could take you :P
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:45 PM
art
CF Junior Member

Cowboyfromhell my Impala is just a nice and fun car to drive around and take trips in. It's very comfortable with XM radio, leather and all the other bells and whistles. If I was going to take a cross country trip, which I do, I would prefer to be in it as opposed to an older hot rod. If you want to race I'll get my old Chev. Duramax Diesel pickup out of the barn and we'll get it on. It has the complete Banks pkg. and programer and turns consistent low 13's. When I spank one of the guys in their new Corvettes they cry like a little school girl. Just as a side note, I had a 64' Impala SS 4 spd. with a 300 hp 327and also a 65' Impala SS 396 auto and this new Impala SS would run circles around both of them. I love the old cars but they are just not in the same technological league as the new ones. You can go back and look at the 0-60 times on the old GTO, 442, any of the big block chev muscle cars and the times were not that good, usually 8 or 9 seconds as opposed to 5.7 seconds on the new Impala SS. Hope you enjoy what you drive and maybe I'll pull up next to you someday in my old Duramax and we'll have some fun.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM
CF Pro Member

yes I had a hard lesson learned from a powderstroke all chipped up, as I stepped into my car and he never left my side, #$%#$^, black smoke just rolling, should have gave it away right there.....performed well. should have known there was a reason he was egging me on.
Old April 21st, 2017, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

I have the exact same car, It doesnt have a governer on it becase i got it up to 156 mph before i shut her down i was racing a dodge charger srt and it didnt stand a chance.
Old April 21st, 2017, 2:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will be governed to what ever the speed rating was on the original tires it was equipped with. Doing a quick search, a 2006 Impala SS came equipped with P235/50R18 97 W Goodyear Eagle RS-A from the factory. W - speed rating is 168 MPH. Do you know what speed rating is on the tires that are currently on the vehicle ? Many people buy replacement tires that have a speed rating less than the original and I would not exceed it. 168 MPH in a GM W-Body is insane if you ask me, the engine may be capable of it, but the rest of the car really was not designed for those kind of speeds. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: GOING TO FIND OUT HOW FAST A '06 IMPALA SS V-8 WILL RUN FLAT OUT!!!!!!