Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

hard steering at low speed

Old October 21st, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard steering at low speed

My 2001 Impala LS has always been dificult to steer at low speed. Especially while parallel parking (this kind of speed is what I am talking about). Just last week-end I replaced the calipers, pads, lower control arms, inner tie rod ends, outer tie rod ends, sway bar links, and sway bar bushings. Now it seems there is a new problem. At a low speed turn or manuvering around the drive-way it sometimes feels like someone is pushing back on the steering wheel while turning the wheel left. Then it will literally make a poping sound that is audible and felt in the steering while turning left. I had it up on the lift at my fathers house and it did the same thing. He has a brake lift that runs up about 4 feet. All of the work that I did looked ok. Not real sure where to go with this one.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Hey man do a quick search on Google for "impala popping steering" or something similar and lots of info comes up. I was just reading up on it yesterday and I think someone mentioned something to do with the steering rack or something like that ...
Old November 10th, 2010, 5:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default Impala's are out of here when this one wears out!

I changed the rack and pinion and it cleared the problem.

I am getting a bad taste in my mouth for Chevrolet (GM products). I am 35 and this is my 5th car. I have only sold one of them and it was cheap because it was tired after all the miles I put on it. My fist car was a 1981 Mercury LN7, second 1986 Chevy Cavalier hatchback Z24, third 1987 Mercury Cougar LS with a 302, fourth 1992 Mercury Cougar 25th Anniversery with a 302, and now a 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS.

The Ln7 was typical cheap first car transpertation but no major problems. The Cavalier was from what little driving I did with it an ok car (went into the military one month after I got it. Then it was wrecked while I was on deployment. The 87 Cougar was awsome it took me from New London, OH to San Diego, CA and back while in the military and many other numerous places. This car with a V8 brought in a whopping 27 mpg on my trip out to San Diego and then my trip back from San Diego. The only thing replaced on it was normal tires, brakes, and oil. I changed a ball joint and the throttle position sensor for the other stuff. I put well over 100K on it and it had 43K when I got it. Had the car for 7 yrs. and loved every minute of it because it was dependable. My 92 Cougar was awsome too. I put well over 100K on it and it had 62K on it when I got it. It got 26 mpg on long trips and very little maintenance. Other than tires and oil this car had the overdrive repaired because I blew it out at 110 mph trying to catch someone but it was still responsive and drove ok. It just would not go into overdrive. The repair bill was reasonable for the abuse it recieved. Now my 2001 Impala has been so far my lemon. I have had to replace odd things with rather large bills. This car does not like Jacksons it likes Franklins. So far I have had two sets of tie rod ends on it. The lower control arm bushings were terrible so I just replaced the whole control arm I put new sway bar links and sway bar bushings ( just in case ). The blower motor would only work on high so I replaced the blower motor resistor. After I replaced the front brakes, rotors, lower control arms, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, and have an alignment for $450. One week later now count it out seven days later the rack and pinion takes a crap and then after replacing that what needs to be done again? You guessed it! Another alignment call! This is not by far GM's first year producing automobiles. How does it seem the technology is going backwards here. Oh yeah did I mentioned that the INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT WAS REPLACED TOO! Now if you drive another brand of car who changes a rack and pinion and a intermediate steering shaft?

Now, I am not going to belittle myself and drive a foreign jobbie. I am just saying GM needs to get with the ball game and enter the 21st century.
Old November 10th, 2010, 8:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Sorry to hear of your problems 443. I had two Malibus. One leased one 2002 bought. I put 100,000 on the 2002 Malibu LS with no problems. Just oil and filters. Secret? Keep it away from dealers! I sold it with 106 on the odometer. I would have bought another one instead of the 09 Impala but the Phoenix dealers are devils. Couldn't get a straight answer out of the dealers. ( list price w/no options) Plowed through their BS until I finally found this Impala w/ 6000 on it and priced right ( w/all options) It was previously leased but looked new and checked it out on Carfax. Wanted a larger car than the Malibu so this filled the bill.
First problem with the Impala: busted wheel stud which dealer refused to replace using some lame excuse. Sure I go around busting off my wheel studs for fun. Bunch of AH's.( Real reason: rotated tires at local tire shop did it.) Complained to BBB, GM, and Dept. of Trans and threatened to spread the word far and wide. Begged me to bring it in. Cost to them $6 for wheel stud+ labor. Great PR for $6. GM claims they made 2 Billion last quarter. Yeah as long as Tarp money pays salaries

Last edited by klutz1; November 10th, 2010 at 8:49 AM.