Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

High Pitch Whine when Accelerating

Old July 1st, 2007, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitch Whine when Accelerating

Hey all..kinda new to the forums but Ive been dealing with this issue for a bit and its driving me crazy! I have a 2001 Impala LS, 56K miles. I have found that anytime I try to do any fast accelerating such as to pass, I get a horrible, loud, high pitch whine. The sound only happens when I accelerate and sometimes it does not even have to be hard acceleration for it to happen. Weather does not seem to be a factor nor does engine temperature. The whine stops for a split second during gear changes but does not happen at all during cruisng or coasting. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 9:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High Pitch Whine when Accelerating

I had almost the same thing. It will keep getting louder. Mine was an idler pulley bearing. on the main drive belt.I think it cost around $20 to fix.
Old August 26th, 2007, 1:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Mine is doing the same but not at hard acceleration just accelarating at normal speeds. It really does it loud when i have my ac on. Could that be the same issue?
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

could be a hole in your air cleaner, or a plugged air filter and the air is forcing itselft past, had a couple trucks do it with small cracks in teh air box, sounds like a turbo spooling up
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Mine did this as well. 2006 LT3. Turns out my power steering pump was going bad. The hum went right along with the trans, it stopped when it shifted. Might check that out too.
Old December 24th, 2007, 9:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Its entirely possible that it could be the torque converter as well. If thats going it will wine more with hard accelleration or normal, just the pitch will vary. However if thats going you'll usually notice that coming off the line its a bit more sluggish than usual and it may slip a little in first. If its driving just fine then thats probably not it.

The power stearing pump is a possibility but usually thats more of a low wine vs a high pitched, but I'm used to hearing them go on trucks so maybe the cars sound a bit different. Of course the easy way to check the PS pump is to make sure its got plenty of fluid in it and then when in park rev up the engine to generate the wine and see if the PS pump is where its coming from.
Old October 8th, 2011, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default High pitched engine whine with acceleration

I have a 2001 chevy impala. I have had an engine whinning for about 100,000 miles now (seems like forever). Obviously I replaced everything suggested on any forum without success. I have just picked up my car from a new mechanic and I am thrilled to say that the NOISE IS GONE.
Drum roll please.......... It was the AC Compressor! 6+ years of whinning is gone. Unfortunately it cost around $1100.00, but I gotta say it was worth every cent. If your car is whinning enough for you to be searching the internet fir a solution, then i would highly recommend the investment. Consider it an investment towards your sanity.
Old November 7th, 2011, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Hi guys, 1999 malibu. upon acceleration get a whining noise that seems to travel up through the steering wheel. When we stop no noise. Put the car in park and gave it gas, no whining noise.

Took it to mechanic for quick looks see. He said the power steering fluid was black. Changed the fluid out an said to see if that does anything. (my son took it in so no great details. thought he said something about the power steering pedal going bad?)

Anyways my son drove it around and said that it didn't help at all. He park the car in the garage. My wife stepped out and said the car smells hot.

Any ideas? Do you guys think it sounds like the power steering pump? I read here where you can check the PS pump by reving the engine while in park. When I do this it doesn't cause the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I should add that I jacked the car up, so both the wheels were off the ground. I then turned them. The drivers side turned harder than the passenger side but neither side caused any grinding or whining noise.

I'm totally confused on this one.

Last edited by tm3912; November 7th, 2011 at 3:58 PM. Reason: additional info
Old January 10th, 2014, 8:16 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

my 2008 chevy hhr whines loud when accelerating,then when i go to put in park it keeps rolling.
Old January 10th, 2014, 9:15 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...not sure what the noise is but this may help understand the rolls on park...

2008 Chevrolet HHR | HHR (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 46103
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Park
No Park Checks
Causes

Parking Lock Actuator Assembly (807)
• Bent or damaged rod

• Binding or broken spring

• The rod is not attached to the detent lever

Detent Roller and Spring (804)
• The bolt is not torqued, or loose

• Bent or damaged

Detent Lever (806)
• Damaged or loose