Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

How-to: Dash Front Removal and Aftermarket Head Unit Installation

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How-to: Dash Front Removal and Aftermarket Head Unit Installation

How-to: Dash Removal and Aftermarket Head Unit Installation
I installed a Pioneer head unit in my 2004 Impala and I hope this how-to assists someone.

The main key for removing and replacing the dash front and installing the head unit in a 2000-2006 Impala:
-There are two screws behind the steering wheel up near the speedometer area that need to be removed.
-There are two more screws on either side of the dash (open both doors of the car to get to them)
-Once you have most of the dash removed you can either use special clips to remove the stock radio or just yank it out (which is what I did).
-Putting the head unit in is simple, just follow the directions that come with the radio and make sure all your speaker/raidio/signal cables match up.
-Place dashboard back on and make sure it is flush with the top of the dashboard.

If these instructions are too vague or you have specific questions please feel free to ask me questions or reply to this thread.

I can also answer questions about installing the 6 1/2" speakers and the 6X9 speakers.. I have plenty of experience.
Old October 28th, 2008, 6:18 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: How-to: Dash Front Removal and Aftermarket Head Unit Installation

Old October 29th, 2008, 1:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: How-to: Dash Front Removal and Aftermarket Head Unit Installation

very nice diagram
Old July 16th, 2009, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Shawnvw:

you always post amazing graphics!! and I would like to thank you for that!!!

just to follow up on your post..How does one remove the top panel that is in between the steering wheel and a a windshield. Sorry, I do not know the exact name for it but it is the one htat I would buy the dashboard cover for.

Please let me know as i tried to remove that thing and could not figure it out.

thanks,
newbie321
Old July 16th, 2009, 6:45 PM
Banned

This piece??

Remove both a pillar covers and pry it up
Old July 16th, 2009, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, Shawnvw:

thank you for your post. yes, I actually did not realize that there are two parts to the system. I need to remove the one that you showed in your previous post and the one that I drew an arrow to and am attaching the pic.
Do I just lift it or pull it? something besides the screws seems to hold it and I can not figure it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7469737@N05/3727635351/

Thank you in advance,

newbie321
Old July 17th, 2009, 7:20 PM
Banned

1. [*]
Old July 19th, 2009, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

Shawnvw:

This is exactly what I needed!!! You are awesome! Thank you very much!!

newbie321
Old October 9th, 2010, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Do I need to remove all thisto find the blend door actuator? I got the front dash panel off but can't see the actuator. One of your post say remove ip insulator, whats that?
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Hi

I have an 05 Impala with OnStar installed. I stupidly had a friend work on replacing the stock radio a few years back and he cut the connections off after taking the stock radio out, assuming he could splice the wires back together as this was something he, and electrician, would have no problem doing. Unfortunately, he didn't count on the OnStar system having a different input on the back of the radio, so I've been radioless for 2 years now. I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice/help before I take it to a place like Best Buy and sink $500.00 into this? I know a new wiring harness will do the trick, but I have no idea how to even begin installing that. I do however currently own an additional wiring harness, so if someone has a diagram or instructions on how to replace that I'd be interested. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Quick Reply: How-to: Dash Front Removal and Aftermarket Head Unit Installation