Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

how to program a new transponder key

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2011, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile how to program a new transponder key

I recently purchased a 2009 impala, unfortunatly i cam with only 1 key and remote. I have a 2nd transmitter key cut for it, but somethings not working. I cant even put the new key into "start" it wont even turn over to start. After doing some research i found out out my vin starts with a 2 and wont work with some websites' programing guide. Anyone know what i could try? Thanks
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You make it sound like the lock cylinder won't turn all the way with the new key in. If so, the key is probably not cut right, it happens. There's no electromechanical means that prevents the lock cylinder from turning. I once had a couple of keys cut to my VIN at a service department and one of them would work only half the time. It turned out that one side of the blade was a hair off as if the key hadn't been inserted fully into the key cutting machine.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya my folks had the same problem with a lexus. you just have to go to the service department and have them fix it. Its a pain but its the only way
Old September 9th, 2011, 3:23 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Contact your local dealership. They will be able check the key and program a new one for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service