Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

ignition problems - key wont turn

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2007, 1:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problems - key wont turn

So I get back from vacation and find out the mother in law has used the 02 impala and now the car is stuck at my uncles house in the drive way and the ignition wont turn with the key. The steering wheel in not locked either. I tried to move the tilt, hit the brake, just about everything silly that I could think of but nothing. I tried both keys and have the same problem. Has anyone heard about this before??
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: ignition problems - key wont turn

I finnally got tired of working on it in 15 deg. below zero and took it to the dealer. They said they needed to replace the ignition switch and switch housing. After doing this they still couldn't get the car started but the key at least turns now. I am still waiting for a great dealership finish and the $BILL$. Were only up to $500 so far.
Old February 10th, 2007, 2:35 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem and had my Impala towed from the gym to the dealer. They said the tumblers got dried up (hot texas weather I guess) and they sprayed it with some lubricate. They charged me $90 but I was happy my car started it and it only took an hour.

I know the Impala has the code stored in the ignition switch (not key)that talks to the computer. Maybe they didn't reprogram the computer for the new ignition switch code?
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM
CF Junior Member

I never tried that but the ignition switch had been working very well and moving very freely. I live in Minnesota and it was one of the coldest days of the year so far -23 deg. I thought it may have froze but the next couple of days were wermer and no difference was found. The car is still at the dealer going oin 4 days now (not including the weekend which they don't work) and they still cant get the car to turn over the starter.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

I just ran inmto this same problem lasty night with my 05 Trailblazer. The key fits in the ignition, but won't turn. The stewrring wheel is not locked. I tried fidling with the gear shift but its in Park. Any ideas??
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
CF Junior Member

I ended up having the ignition switch replaced and reprogramed for the key. I guess in the impala there are two parts of the the ignition switch and they were able to reuse one so it saved me a little money. The reason they couldn't get it started was due to another electrical issue they caused when trying to troubleshoot the problem as well as ruining my battery so I had to buy another one of those as well. If you have the switch replaced don't let them charge you alot for reprogramming the key and ignition. It is one of those simple turn the key on and off so many times tricks similiar to getting the service codes out of the older model of cars. End result of the ignition switch problem with all the costs around $550.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Old April 9th, 2007, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Let me tell some of you....it has nothing to to with the weather being too hot or anything like that! lol....my car is at the dealership right now having the tumbler replaced...$500....this is crazy and I have searched the issue in other places and have found hundreds of ppl with same issue and its time for gm to know about that fact that this should be a recall issue....I read of some ppl that have had to have it done 2x now!!! my car has 39k miles on it and of course it happens just after warranty runs out...it is crazy..
Old April 9th, 2007, 4:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for those that have failed, do you have keychains with many keys on it, making it heavy?
I have only the remote FOB, car key, and house key, nothing else.
people Ive known with heavy keychains have had theirs fail on chevys and hondas. im sure it applies to all locks?
Old April 9th, 2007, 5:47 PM
CF Junior Member

When mine failed I had the following; key fob, key for ignition,and house key. I don't think weight was a factor here.

Quick Reply: ignition problems - key wont turn