Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

ignition problems - key wont turn

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2007, 5:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ignition problems - key wont turn

well- there went that theory....
with or without heavy keychains...............
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a problem with my 04 impala...the ignition isn't stuck, but sometimes when i try to turn the key, i have to juggle it back in forth to start it
its like it doesn't want to turn.. I usually can get it on the 3rd try. It doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then
any ideas on why it does this or what i am able to do to fix it
Old April 10th, 2007, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Your tumblers are most likely getting loose or your key has a "knick" or bend in it. Try using a spare key and if you have the same problem it is most likely the tumblers in the ignition. You can also spray some WD40 in the ignition and see if it makes any difference. If this is the case I would get it fixed before it completely fails and you have to tow it to the dealer.
Old October 31st, 2007, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Did changing the ignition tumbler (ignition lock cylinder, as it is known in the shop manual) solve the problem? I've replaced the ignition switch (the body which the lock cylinder sits in) and I'm still having intermittant starting problems. I noticed that there was an electrical connector on the ignition switch, that gets connected to a "block"(electrical contacts?) on the lock cylinder.[>:]
Old October 31st, 2007, 2:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Are you having starting problems or key turning problems. Last winter I had the key turning problems and had to tow it to the dealer for them to replace both parts of the ignition. The electrical part of the ignition belongs to the passlock system which I am now having problems with. The key turns OK but once every couple of weeks when I turn the key nothing happens. I have to try and fiddle with it for 10-15 minutes. Then most of the time anyways it will turn over. I am thinking about by-passing the passlock system and see if that solves my issues. This is a pretty common problem by the way it sounds by reading on this forum.
Old June 4th, 2011, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

when out this morning to start my 2000 monte carlo, and the key wont turn in my igintion. what can i do?
Old December 15th, 2020, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Key won't turn in ignition

I have a 2000 monte and my key won't turn.come out of work and cant leave.like wtf. Is it the cylinder?