Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Ignition Switch Replaced, OLD Keys Work...

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2014, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Replaced, OLD Keys Work...

Greetings,

Great forum you have here!

I have a 2002 Impala that was subject to the Ignition Switch Recall as issued by GM. I dropped the vehicle off. The Dealership had the vehicle for two months or so. I gave them one key.

I received a telephone call the other morning from the Service Manager of the Chevrolet Dealership who told me that the repair was made and to "...be sure to throw away your old keys". Made sense to me since the new switch would require a new key, correct?

By sheer accident this morning I put one of the OLD keys in and the vehicle started. I tried the second old key and it fired up as well.

So, I have two new keys that came with the new switch, and two old keys that I had prior to the replacement of the switch.

What are the odds of the old keys fitting this new switch?

Many thanks!
Old September 13th, 2014, 2:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lgldsr73
Greetings,

I have a 2002 Impala that was subject to the Ignition Switch Recall as issued by GM. I dropped the vehicle off. The Dealership had the vehicle for two months or so. I gave them one key.

I received a telephone call the other morning from the Service Manager of the Chevrolet Dealership who told me that the repair was made and to "...be sure to throw away your old keys". Made sense to me since the new switch would require a new key, correct?

By sheer accident this morning I put one of the OLD keys in and the vehicle started. I tried the second old key and it fired up as well.

So, I have two new keys that came with the new switch, and two old keys that I had prior to the replacement of the switch.

Many thanks!
Post detailed pics of the new and old keys for comparision
Old September 13th, 2014, 2:39 PM
CF Veteran

Are the keys identical?

except for the key hole on the end? Then the work was performed.

More Details on GM's Latest Ignition-Related Recall - KickingTires
Old September 14th, 2014, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Are the keys identical?

except for the key hole on the end? Then the work was performed.

More Details on GM's Latest Ignition-Related Recall - KickingTires
Thank you for taking the time to reply. The keys are below. the top key is the original one, the bottom the new one. When you say 'key hole' should there be a literal hole in the key or (as shown) in the plastic at top?

I'm not seeing much of a difference between the two.

Again, thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails Ignition Switch Replaced, OLD Keys Work...-keys1.jpg  
Old September 14th, 2014, 6:18 PM
CF Veteran

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The keys are below. the top key is the original one, the bottom the new one. When you say 'key hole' should there be a literal hole in the key or (as shown) in the plastic at top?

I'm not seeing much of a difference between the two.

Again, thank you very much!
The key cut practically looks identical to the other key... so it sounds like nothing in the ignition was replaced either.

If you read the article I linked to, it explains the wide hole is being replaced with the narrow hole version, so the key doesn't act like a lever if a lot of crap is attached to it.
Old September 14th, 2014, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
The key cut practically looks identical to the other key... so it sounds like nothing in the ignition was replaced either.

If you read the article I linked to, it explains the wide hole is being replaced with the narrow hole version, so the key doesn't act like a lever if a lot of crap is attached to it.
So your of the thought that the service was never performed? I am leaning in this direction as well. Could they not have cut the cylinder to fit existing key(s) and if so, why would they tell me to toss the originals?

Thanks.
Old September 14th, 2014, 9:03 PM
CF Veteran

So your of the thought that the service was never performed? I am leaning in this direction as well. Could they not have cut the cylinder to fit existing key(s) and if so, why would they tell me to toss the originals?

Thanks.
Because the key with the wide slot is the danger, it can act like a lever and turn off the ignition. Moving it to the center with the little hole removes the lever issue. That's why they told you to chuck the old keys in the trash.

I don't think the cylinder is the issue with a weak spring, as in the other recall cases.

I'm not sure if they can replace a cylinder by cutting a new one with a set of keys. Look inside it and see if it looks used or new?

I'm not with GM or anything, and only going by what I have seen and read.
Old September 20th, 2014, 8:55 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks.
Is the GM Recall a low priority to Impala Owners? - Page 3 - Chevy Impala Forums
Old September 30th, 2014, 7:25 PM
Banned

Greetings,

Many thanks!
I am understanding this correctly?

GM recalled a 12 year old + vehicle for an ignition switch?

How embarrassing that you actually showed up at the dealership expecting them to replace a switch on a car with likely more than 120,000 miles.

I have been saying it all along, Americans are ****** who expect something for nothing on a regular basis.

How embarrassing that you actually showed up expecting GM to fix
a car that is over 12 years old!!!!!!!!!!

Sad state of affairs. Embarrassing at every level. "Give me something for nothing GOD DAMNIT!!!!" "I DESERVE SOMETHING FOR NOTHING LIKE ALL AMERICANS!!!!!!!"

PIECE OF **** on every possible level. Embarrasssing ****s asking for compensation!

Dont forget.................Sledge argued how 20" tires have the thinnest rims therefore the loudest tire noise. This is an example of stupidity. Americans are so stupid nowadays it is embarrassing beyond belief. Good luck to you "ignant" ******** with no clue. Strapping a 9mm will not make you cool or smart. That much has been proven. Any chance you fools see the mis spelled words? Doubt it!!!!

Last edited by Todd2869; September 30th, 2014 at 7:30 PM.
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Thanks.
They don't cut key cylinders. each lock cylinders tumblers are assembled to match the existing key code. That way you don't have to have 2 keys to open the door and start the car. the factory key code is retained and you can have keys cut by the dealer using the vin.

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Replaced, OLD Keys Work...