Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala Air conditiner

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2015, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Impala Air conditiner

My A/C will not come on. The outside temp was 65 degree F.
I checked the fuse (good) and I check the refrigerant (good) and when I turn on the A/C, the led light in the dash will flash several times and shut off. I don't know where to go from here.
Anyone with knowledge will be greatly appreciated!
Any ideas?
Old April 4th, 2015, 8:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

year, engine, auto hvac?

the system is seeing the input for the a/c request but the request is withheld due to a fault or condition not met.

the proper start would be to check for hvac faults with a scan tool. if none are found check the refrigerant charge level.
Old April 5th, 2015, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

07 LTZ 3.9l (fuel management)
The refrigerant level appeared to be fine but it read high maybe from cold outdoor temp (38 degree).
I don't think the compressor is coming on. Light in button flashes, about 4 times, when I push the switch to turn A/C on. No compressor. (when at 65 degree outside temperature)
Old April 5th, 2015, 3:46 PM
Super Moderator

yeah, the ecm controls the a/c compressor; it will not engage due to an input it does not like.

how did verify the charge level.

what is the ambient temp sensor reading in *C. It may need to be forced to update.
Old April 7th, 2015, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
yeah, the ecm controls the a/c compressor; it will not engage due to an input it does not like.

how did verify the charge level.
I checked it with a recharge meter from canned refrigerant.

what is the ambient temp sensor reading in *C. It may need to be forced to update.
How do I find the temp sensor reading?
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe the mirror ? If you want to know the outside temp...something in your car should display it. This value is used to determine if it's to cold for a/c operation. On the trucks there is an algorithm that determines how it compensates for heat from the radiator...as the sensor is next to the rad. It may need to be updated if the criteria for a current temp reading hasn't occurred.

It hard to determine without seeing the car.

What pressure( and what was the temp) did you read with your gauge. That is not an accurate method but it better than nothing.
Old April 8th, 2015, 7:14 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Some discharge configurations could also cause it to not come on, I know you can't use recirculate with the defrost on or with the vents set to feet...
I agree its most likely the outside temp but something to consider...
Old April 10th, 2015, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
Maybe the mirror ? If you want to know the outside temp...something in your car should display it. This value is used to determine if it's to cold for a/c operation. On the trucks there is an algorithm that determines how it compensates for heat from the radiator...as the sensor is next to the rad. It may need to be updated if the criteria for a current temp reading hasn't occurred.
In the original post, I had put down that it was 65 degree F. and this was read from the car, in dash, gauge.
It hard to determine without seeing the car.
I agree
What pressure( and what was the temp) did you read with your gauge. That is not an accurate method but it better than nothing.
I will wait till it warms up (tomorrow) and try to get a reading on refrigerant pressure and go from there. The last time I tried this, it was cold out (38 degree) and the gauge read high. almost to the red line on the high side of gauge.
Old April 14th, 2015, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

OK, here's what I got.
I checked the refrigerant and it read 45psi at 62 degree F. with the vehicle thermometer (in dash). I put the setting at panel, with the temp setting at maximum cold, fan on high and pushed the A/C power button. This flashed 5 times and then nothing. The compressor did not come on.
Any ideas on what to do next?
Old April 14th, 2015, 7:16 PM
Super Moderator

the system is not fully charged but it may have enough to run. charging by that method is not accurate.

did the ambient temp update? What is it reading?

Quick Reply: Impala Air conditiner