Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2010, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala dies while driving

2000 Impala LS with 3.8 L engine. Back in July started running bad, took to mechanic and he replaced the Mass Flow Air Sensor. Since then it has occasionally died while driving including on highway, took it back and they had a hard time diagnosing but said it was fuel pump and replaced the fuel pump, previously the gas gage on the dash was not working. Right after the fuel pump replaced, as I was driving down highway the RPM started fluctuating, and I was able to get off the highway in time before it died. Died two more times before I got it home. took back to mechanic and they said there was a loose wire to the fuel pump, install problem. Got it back, drove it next day and it went about 20 miles no problem then started doing the same thing, RPM fluctuates, then it dies, will not restart for a couple of minutes, and this time it kept dying. Had it towed back to the mechanic, which was yesterday.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on.
Old October 21st, 2010, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your battery connections. What seems to be okay might now be. I had the very same problem, after staring at the engine with death in my eyes for it...I check the battery connections, they were not snug tight (Auto Zone did the replacing of the battery) I snug them up. Problem went away...