Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala Transmission's

Old September 16th, 2012, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Impala Transmission's

Hello Impala Owner's,

I think the 7th and 8th gen chevy Impala transmission's are 'crappy', Don't get me wrong I love my Impala but what's up with their transmission's? I know for a fact that im not the only one that's experiencing tranny problems...In my opinion Impala tranny's are "junk",Im curious to know have anyone else experienced problem's with their impala transmission?....Thank's
Old September 17th, 2012, 2:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by charmer37
Hello Impala Owner's,

I think the 7th and 8th gen chevy Impala transmission's are 'crappy', Don't get me wrong I love my Impala but what's up with their transmission's? I know for a fact that im not the only one that's experiencing tranny problems...In my opinion Impala tranny's are "junk",Im curious to know have anyone else experienced problem's with their impala transmission?....Thank's
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> charmer37,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Impala. Have you contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? If so, would you PM me the Service Request number (SR#) for your case, so I can look into this further for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 17th, 2012, 9:03 PM
CF Veteran

depends...are you 1 of the guys that drives like a bat out of hell and never services the trans?? if thats the case yes, they are junk
Old September 18th, 2012, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down re:Impala Transmissions

I drive normal and never give a transmission more than it can handle, The Impala is one of the first chevy automobiles i ever had trouble with and i owned quit a few chevy products!
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tranny Issues here too

2012 Impala almost 20k miles. Tonight I went to pass a car doing 40 in a 55 and goosed it. When it shifted gears (around 55 or 60) the car redlined horribly before sluggishly shifting into gear. Waited until it was clear tried to reproduce and it slipped again, pegged the tachometer . Of course no code (per onstar). What has me a bit peeved is the shop will want to reproduce the issue and rev limiter or not I am not a fan of pushing it too far past 7k RPM more than needed. Calling the shop in the morning, had a loose rear passenger stabilizer, no biggy but tranny issues at 19,500K really scare me.
Old August 31st, 2013, 5:11 PM
Official GM Rep

cabezon99,

We'd be happy to work with you through getting this checked into at your dealership (if we understand correctly, you contacted them this morning). Please get us more information via private message (including your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your preferred dealership).

Sarah (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 15th, 2013, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Chevy Impala Transmission

I recently purchased a used 2011 Chevy Impala less than a week ago and the transmission is started slipping when accelerating from a stop approximately 3 days after I brought it home. I just can't believe it as I own a 2006 Ford Explorer with over 250,000 miles on it and no transmission issues at all. I have never owned a vehicle only 2 years old with this kind of major issue. I dropped the car off at the dealer today, haven't heard back yet as to what exactly is going on. The car had a little over 50000 miles on it when I purchased it, however; based on the vehicles that I have owned in the past including the Explorer, that is really not a lot of miles to me.
The following users liked this post:
april canedo (July 12th, 2023)
Old September 15th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by nicki52731
I recently purchased a used 2011 Chevy Impala less than a week ago and the transmission is started slipping when accelerating from a stop approximately 3 days after I brought it home. I just can't believe it as I own a 2006 Ford Explorer with over 250,000 miles on it and no transmission issues at all. I have never owned a vehicle only 2 years old with this kind of major issue. I dropped the car off at the dealer today, haven't heard back yet as to what exactly is going on. The car had a little over 50000 miles on it when I purchased it, however; based on the vehicles that I have owned in the past including the Explorer, that is really not a lot of miles to me.
the age and mileage is just about the time the rental companies sell off there stock.
gm has the longest powertrain coverage so your not paying. after the repair, do your trans fluid exchanges every 50 000 and you won't have problems.

ford exploders are true lemons

Last edited by tech2; September 15th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old September 16th, 2013, 3:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by nicki52731
Hello nicki52731,

Welcome to the forum! We are happy to have you as part of the Chevrolet community. Sorry you are experiencing an issue with the transmission slipping so soon after purchase. I see your vehicle is at the dealer and you are waiting to hear back a response. We would like the opportunity to stay involved throughout this process and be updated on your vehicle progress. Please reach out to us via private message so we can discuss your current situation. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Impala Transmission slipping

My car is doing the same thing, slipping or jurking when accelerating from a stop but not all the time. Getting ready to take it to the shop this coming weekend. What did they find was wrong with yours?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impala Transmission's