Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Insrument Panel Lights not working - Repair

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2008, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insrument Panel Lights not working - Repair

All of a sudden my Instrument Panel lights didn't work on my 2002 LS. When the car started the gear shift position indicator would light up but quickly fade into oblivion.

It turns out that the connection on one of the 2 gray wires on the Headlight Switch was causing the problem. I cleaned up all the connections on the switch using a brass brush attachment on a Dremel tool and was back in business

I was able to narrow down the location of the fault by first checking for +12 Vdc on both side of the "Rear ParkLamp" fuse (15 Amp)located in the passenger side fuse block. There are 2 contacts on top of the fuse. When the headlights are on, use a Volt Meter (on DC Volts) by placing the black lead on a good ground point, usually an unpainted bolt that attaches into the body frame. The red lead is then touched to each of the contacts on the top of the fuse (one at a time). If you have +12VDC on both sides of the fuse, the BCM is probably OK because the "Park LP" relay is being pulled in and the "Rear ParkLamp" fuse is good.

Next go to the driver side fuse block and located the "Str Col" fuse (2 Amp). Check the voltage the same way as mentioned above. If you have +12vdc on one side of the fuse, the fuse is bad. If you have 0 vdc on both sides of the fuse, the problem is either the Headlight Switch or a bad connection on the switch.

Remove the Instrument Panel Cover and then unscrew the Headlight Switch leaving the wires connected. If youplace a jumper wirefrom the Grey wire to the Brown/White Stripe wire, the instrument panel lights will come on if the problem is in the Headlight switch or one of the connections.

Check the connections by removing the connector. Look at the pins sticking up tha slide into the connector.Clean them up and you should be back in business. If not, you will need to replace the Headlight Switch.

Good Luck,

Cary
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Default RE: Insrument Panel Lights not working - Repair

Most of the time its your dimmer switch. They go out alot
Old September 21st, 2008, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Insrument Panel Lights not working - Repair

I had to make a correction, but hopefully this will help people troubleshoot and be sure the switch is bad before spending the money.

My biggest fear yesterday was that it was going to be the BCM.

Cary