Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Installing aftermarket radio issue 2005 impala

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2014, 5:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing aftermarket radio issue 2005 impala

I bought a radio for my 2005 Impala along with the replacement wiring harness and box to allow for the chimes to still be present in the car with the new radio system. When I hooked the radio up to the car, it turned on for a brief second (a line of text flashed across the screen-- "mp3 player) then it shut down. I have appropriately connected the colored wires and all of the instructions that I'm seeing say to just plug the radio into the car so I don't know why it keeps turning off.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may have.
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this with a 2003 Impala and to get the radio to work correctly i had to run 18 guage wire from the aux power drop in the fuse box directly to the +12 volts from ignition wire for the radio(should be the red one). The problem is, at least the way I understood it, is that the factory radio uses the cars data system for the switched +12 volts while after market radios can't. So even with a wiring harness you still may need to run a wire for the fuse box.

Please let me know if that helps.