Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2010, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Repair

Has anyone had any experience with repairing the cluster...speedometer, fuel gauge, etc? The 2005 we have has a definite problem with speedo and possibly fuel gauge. I've seen 4 or 5 businesses/individuals on Ebay that advertise rework/repair of the instrument cluster. From what I understand they have to remove and solder a new component to each gauge needed repair. These components are pretty inexpensive but a person must have experience in working with these things from what I've determined. Anyway, I've located a place 250 - 300 miles from my home in which these repairs are done. It will cost me to send it over and then $70 to repair and ship back to me. So for around $80- $85, it can be repaired. Certainly beats $400 or so for replacing the cluster through GM!

Also does anyone have a step by step in removing the cluster? I know that there are only 4 screws that hold the cluster in place but it's getting to that which I'm not too sure of.

Thanks!
Old June 12th, 2010, 7:59 AM
Impala Super Moderator

I know someone that can do it, pm me for details.
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

My niece has a 04 with this problem - intermittent fuel gauge a speedo.
Whats entailed on repairing this, if I was to do it myself?
Old June 14th, 2010, 6:05 PM
Impala Super Moderator

You know how to solder? Replacing motors?
Old June 15th, 2010, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the replys. I did remove the cluster (pretty easy job) and have sent it to the fellow that is in the next state to me. He has a very good rating on Ebay so I figured it would be OK. I should have back later this week. I'll let you know the out come when I get it back in the car.
Old June 15th, 2010, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by HotSauce6226
You know how to solder? Replacing motors?
Yes I do, I have a lots of experience with it. I've repaired digital dashes from the early 80's. What kind of motors are we talking about?

Skidoofan, do you have the ebay link for the repair guy? I might consider this route if its faster.
Old June 16th, 2010, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Yes, the one I used is www.speedometerrepairguy.com. You can also find his repair services on Ebay. I'm pretty sure you can find the stepper motors on Ebay as well pretty cheap. I just have no experience soldering these types of things. I picked this repair location because it was in Minnesota so pretty close to where I live. There are a few out there on the web. I believe I've seen Oklahoma, Florida, and Texas locations. The one I picked has a 99.9% rating on Ebay with like 3500+ favorable comments and 4 negative. Hope that helps you out.
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Good luck. I personally know of someone that could fix it, like I posted before. Good luck
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default Complete

I received the instrument cluster back this past Wednesday. Installed in car and everything seems to work great! If anyone is having speedometer or other instrument related problems, this is the way to go to avoid replacing cluster. What a waste.....good for the dealer - bad for the consumer. I know there are a ton of people out there that are having these same issues. I had corresponded with the sales person at the dealership where we purchased this vehicle. I was told that because of the mileage on this vehicle, it was not uncommon for failure! I told her that I didn't think the issue had anything to do with mileage or age....but more likely a GM problem. I than emailed her 40 + complaints from ONE website dealing strictly with 2005 Impala's!
I wouldn't hesitate sending your cluster in for repairs. The shipping was pretty cheap to send off and th $70 covered the repairs and shipment back to me. Removal and reinstallation was a breeze. I found directions on a website and was very easy to do.
Old June 27th, 2010, 1:42 PM
Impala Super Moderator

What did it run you total?

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Repair