Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Instrument Cluster Repair

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2012, 1:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know if I can install the 6 gauge SS Cluster in the LS model which gas a 4 gauge cluster? Are these units interchangeable?
Old December 17th, 2012, 8:28 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Depends on eyar of your car.
Old December 17th, 2012, 8:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Even if it the 6guage cluster plugs in; it will most likely need programming from the dealer.

I did the cluster repair for $30. The kit contained 6 stepper motors, 10 replacment leds and an instruction sheet. bought from ebay.

Last edited by tech2; December 17th, 2012 at 8:54 AM.
Old December 18th, 2012, 2:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I did it myself on my 2003 Trailblazer. All 6 stepper motors were interchangeable and no reprogramming was required. The 6 were bought on Ebay and were $25.00 including shipping.
Old December 26th, 2012, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

I completed the repair this weekend. I installed the 6 gauge to replace the 4 gauge. Very strait forward, total time in and out 90 minutes. The only issue I am having is the new oil gauge. The needle seems to go way past the H and stay on the bottom of the gauge. If you turn the key "on and off" every 3 seconds the needle will find its way to normal. Do not knows what is causing this. Any ideas? I have a 2004 Impala LS 3800 model.
Old December 27th, 2012, 1:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by kevhenn54
I completed the repair this weekend. I installed the 6 gauge to replace the 4 gauge. Very strait forward, total time in and out 90 minutes. The only issue I am having is the new oil gauge. The needle seems to go way past the H and stay on the bottom of the gauge. If you turn the key "on and off" every 3 seconds the needle will find its way to normal. Do not knows what is causing this. Any ideas? I have a 2004 Impala LS 3800 model.
it may take a oil pressure switch for the one with just a warning light but a oil pressure sending unit for the one with a guage. the dealer parts department may show two different parts depending of the cluster.
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by skidoofan
I received the instrument cluster back this past Wednesday. Installed in car and everything seems to work great! If anyone is having speedometer or other instrument related problems, this is the way to go to avoid replacing cluster. What a waste.....good for the dealer - bad for the consumer. I know there are a ton of people out there that are having these same issues. I had corresponded with the sales person at the dealership where we purchased this vehicle. I was told that because of the mileage on this vehicle, it was not uncommon for failure! I told her that I didn't think the issue had anything to do with mileage or age....but more likely a GM problem. I than emailed her 40 + complaints from ONE website dealing strictly with 2005 Impala's!
I wouldn't hesitate sending your cluster in for repairs. The shipping was pretty cheap to send off and th $70 covered the repairs and shipment back to me. Removal and reinstallation was a breeze. I found directions on a website and was very easy to do.
Hi,

I am responding to this as I have the same problem with my instrument cluster. I would like to try to fix it myself using the cheap kits available on eBay as I'm located in the Phillipines.

Can someone please point me to the mentioned "directions on the website"?

Thanks in advance!
Old June 28th, 2020, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 07 suburban with dark DIC and PRNDL displays. I have read the thread.

Does anyone have the following info?
A harness diagram of what pins to power up to test the cluster repair? Also which ones to test steppers?
I am also looking for info pref a part number for the 100ohm resister R92 and the driver chip. I have the mosfet part number.
I am asking as I want to get all the possible parts that could be wrong as it's over 115 degrees in AZ so I don't want to go back outside with it until I know it's fixed and working right.