Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2006, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

I drive my car at night with the instrument panel lights turned down some and my fog lights on. It's kind of an optical illusion, I don't notice the lights pulsing as much. My service manager said the only time he noticed his lights flickering was when he had his fog lights on and he suggested that I drive without them on. I have tried some experiments. One night I turned everything off except the headlights. No radio, heater, fog lightsor anything else that I could shut off. The lights still flickered. I regularly drive 75 or 80 mph on I-65 and the lights still flicker. It is correct that they are flickering when I'm in the 3 cylinder mode. When I hit the gas, the lights stay bright. Some times they are worse than others, last night they were so bad that I could see them pulse over the fog lights. Hope that this doesn't happen to somebody with epilepsy, might trigger a siezure.
Old December 29th, 2006, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

PS
Have your vin # handy, am told that they will ask for it.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 1:28 AM
CF Beginner

I was experimenting and found that if you drive the car in 3 instead of Drive mode that it locks the car in 6 cylinder mode and the lights won't flicker. The only thing that this will affect is your gas mileage. I drive my car in 3 at night and in Drive in the daytime. If your lights flickering bothers you like it does me, this might keep you from going crazy till they find out how to fix it.
Old January 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

I just purchased an 07 Impala with the 3.9 engine. My lights flicker and the mileage display goes off and comes back on. After two tries the dealer gave me a form that said GM is aware of the problem but has no clue how to fix it.And there will probably be no recall if they discover a solution. It is really frustation to buy a new car and drive down the road with yuor lights blinking off and on.

BobbyJo
Old January 18th, 2007, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

I have just come from my dealer. My service manager called me the other day and told me that they have a temporary fix and will fix it permanately when they get the correct parts. Call your service department and tell them to get a hold of their factory rep and he should be able to tell them what to do to fix the problem. They have to do something with the alternator. It took them approx. 20 minutes to do the proceedure. Was also told that the recall for the remote start should start in about ten days. Don't know if the fix works till I go to work tonight, but they say it will. Keep fingers crossed.
Old January 18th, 2007, 5:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

had this happen to a customer with his 06 Impala, Tech found a loose ground wire on the back of his headlight somewhere....fixed the problem in about 10 seconds...not sure that is EVERYONEs problem but may fix a couple of u guys
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

This is a problem with just the '07s, has to do with the engine going from six to three cylinders. Temp fix seems to be working so far on my car.
Old January 19th, 2007, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

EXCELLENT!! So I called GM to report this problem, and the rep said they are not aware of it. The dealer told me that this is normal. Do you have a copy of your warranty repair from your dealer on what they did to fix this prob? Now it seems that a fix is here, and I'm hitting a dead end. congrats on GM getting their act together. Once I get my headlights and remote start probs fixed, my car will be perfect!!
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to give you the bad news, but fix worked for a short time and then went back to the same thing. Talked to my service manager this morning and he couldn't understand why it's doing what it is, but they are working on it and should have a fix shortly. They know what's causing it, but don't know exactly how to fix it. Sorry for the false info.
On another note, got a call today that they have the parts in for the remote start and I have an appointment for Monday for my car to go under the knife. I am the first one in this area (Northwest Indiana) Wish me luck.
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

man, close but no cigar! Good news on the antenna fix. SO what exactly is causing this irratic voltage issue? was it the alternator like I suspected?

Quick Reply: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker