Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

From what I understand, the alternator changes it's output according to how you drive and whether it's in 6 or three cylinder mode. The temp fix was that they made the alternator put out full voltage all the time like it was in 6 cylinder mode all the time. Thought it worked, but then had to go on the Interstate and they started pulsing again. Like I said, when I drive in 3 instead of Drive, it locks in 6 cylinder mode and the lights don't pulse. They are working on this and should have a fix soon, but not soon enough for me. At least the remote start will work without me sitting in the car to use it.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

I just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with G.M. A lot of questions and no answers. They seemed to act like I was the first person to call and complain about the lights. I tried to drive in 3 instead of D and it seemed to help a little. It doesn't hurt the car to drive in 3 on the interstate?It is very frustating to drive at night and your lights flicker. Several times my display went completely out.Several cars in front of me think I am asking them to get outof my way and pull to the next lane. I sure hope GM comes up with a solution but I have my doubts.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 8:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Definitely sounds like an issue with the Regulated Voltage Control ( RVC) system. It may be a software issue that they're trying to correct.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 3:16 AM
CF Beginner

Only thing that will take a hit is your gas mileage. I asked the same question of my service manager. I also spent a lot of time on the phone. The woman I talked to at the TAC center kind of got me angry when she said to me that if there is no fix for my car, what do I want. I proceeded to tell her in no uncertain terms. They do know about the problem and are working on it. The temporary fix they tried on my car didn't work, so it's back to the drawing board. If you are having trouble with your remote start, keyless entry, or the service tire pressure system comes on, call your dealer and hound them to get the parts to fix this problem. I had mine done today and it works better than when I first got the car. They are getting the parts, but your dealer has to order them. It took about three days for my dealer to get my parts. I have a good relationship with my service writer and service manager and they tell me about new info as soon as it becomes available to them. Will pass on whatever I find out as soon as possible.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Just came back from my dealer today about my headlights and the remote start/tire pressure issue. They start a service claim from chevy, and spoke with them directly, and said there is a service bulletin out for the active fuel manegment. Then, moving onto the remote start issue, the latest TSB said to order new remote controls, then reprogram the reciever. How is a new remote going to fix the tire monitors? Shouldnt they replace them too? I dont get them! Maybe the reprogramming will do the trick but from what i have heard, a new reciever/antenna in the vehicle is the solution. That makes more sense. Exactly what parts did they get for your vehicle?? As soon as the remotes are in, I'll be back to them and hopefully they will have something back from GM. P.S: driving in 3 instead of D is a lot of wear and tear on your car. The engine is probably screaming at 3500 rpm on the highway in that gear. I wouldnt do it.
Old January 24th, 2007, 4:06 AM
CF Beginner

They gave me two new remote transmitters, replaced the antennae and the reciever under the dash. There is supposed to be a recall coming out soon. Like I said, my service writer is a great lady and she ordered the parts for me as soon as they became available. Just reprograming the old reciever won't fix anything. Have your service manager call up document #1875244 and show you what this is about. There's six things that this affects.
Old January 24th, 2007, 4:12 AM
CF Beginner

These are the part numbers for what they put in my car, 1- antenna, part #25837954 1-receiver, part #15946938 2-transmitters, part # 15912860. Maybe this will help you get something fixed on your car. Let me know what they say.
Old January 30th, 2007, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

there is already a thread started about the transmitter and the remote start, please use that. I took my car into the dealer for the second time yesterday and they talked to engineering and the factory rep. There is now a TSB out about this problem with number PIC4354B, or at least that is what it says on my printout. They unhooked the 'battery current sensor' and said that this is the temp. fix until Chevy can come up with something better. He said they are working on it and all they can do right now is unhook that particular sensor. I don't know if it really helped or not, the lights seemed to pulse this morning, but maybe I was being too sensitive to them. I will have to drive it more at night to really make sure they are not pulsing anymore.
Old January 30th, 2007, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Just had a long day at the dealer yesterday, they replaced my transmitters and antenna. The remote start is STILL the way it is...even after this "new fix"!! ANd to top that off, they put things back together wrong, and I have a huge gap between my A pillar and dashboard. For the flickering, they do have a PI notice out, they are aware of it, but they have yet to find the cause...let alone find a solution. I was told by my dealer to sit tight and wiat. I'm not happy!!
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

I think that you need to go to a different dealer/sevice department. They have to replace the receiver also. I put the part numbers in one of my answers. My remote works great. We walked it off the other day and it was close to three hundred feet. After reading your note, I checked my car and it looks like it did when I bought it. The service tech that did mine was an older guy, one with a lot of experience, another assist by my service adviser. Like I said a great lady. Don't know where you live, but my service department has updated service bullitens. As you said though, there is no fix for the flickering lights at this time. The TAC rep is supposed to call me Thursday and let me know what if any progress is being made on this problem. I'd get on my service department if I was you. Sounds like they're giving you the run around.

Quick Reply: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker