Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

K&N Air Filter on '03 Impala LS - Are there any Pros & Cons to putting one in??

Old April 27th, 2009, 2:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation K&N Air Filter on '03 Impala LS - Are there any Pros & Cons to putting one in??

Hey guys! Been a while since I been on here. Gonna be leaving for NY on May 21st. I just bought and installed a K&N Air Filter for my '03 Impala LS. I was wondering if anyone has reported problems after installing in? Any positive or negative changes to your car? I am just curious. I have heard that some engines do not like the K&N Air Filter as it allows more air flow thus messing up the computer system on your car and make it not run properly till a regular filter is reinstalled. Let me know. Well, I have to run to AutoZone and have my codes reset as I did a front brake job yesterday and it is tell me my Brake Fluid is low and will not let me turn on my Traction Control. Joy! And no.... it is not an Oil Frog Gwampa.
Old April 27th, 2009, 3:37 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N and other oiled filters sometimes pass the filter oil onto the MAF sensor which can distort the readings to the computer. Other than that just better air flow, not any noticeable power increase in my opinion, but there is some. You just did the K&N filter change on the stock box right?

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 27th, 2009 at 3:53 PM. Reason: added
Old April 27th, 2009, 5:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
K&N and other oiled filters sometimes pass the filter oil onto the MAF sensor which can distort the readings to the computer. Other than that just better air flow, not any noticeable power increase in my opinion, but there is some. You just did the K&N filter change on the stock box right?
Yeah, I bought the $50.00 Filter that goes into the stock air box. I do notice a difference in the performance of the car. The car seems to hesitate a bit around 3000 - 3500 rpms when shifting in a couple of the lower gears and it almost feels a little different in the way in runs in town (35mph speed limit). The air filter that was in it before was a 2000 mile old STP filter. I was also told that with the computer systems on today's cars, that it may be that the car has detected a change in the air flow and it will take a few days of driving for the computer system to compensate for the increased air flow and make the proper adjustments so that it runs smoother. I am not sure if that is the case or not, but it sounds good. Let me know.... anyone... your thoughts on this.
Old April 27th, 2009, 6:02 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Yea, I would let the computer complete a few drive cycles then see if its ok, I clean my MAF with MAF cleaner about once a month to be on the safe side with the filter oil.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 27th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Unhook your battery clean you MAF with CRC maf sensor cleaner. Hook back up. It will take a week or so for the pcm to learn your driving habits. With that $50 you could of built your own FWI
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Only over-oiling causes MAF deception. If you put too much oil on, it most defintely will coat the MAF.
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Only over-oiling causes MAF deception.
Agreed.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Just put one in my '06 and can tell marked difference. The air is so sparse here that every little bit helps I guess. Got a can of that MAF cleaner and will try the battery disconnect when it gets cleaned (likly the same time I do the filter). So how thorough do you wet the element after cleaning? Obviously not soaked, but what's a good gauge or is it just letting it dry real good after a minimal coating. Just want to do it right.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Heres is a few tips from the K&N site...

16. How do I clean a K&N air filter?

Use a K&N Filter Care Service Kit, available at all major auto parts stores and a low pressure nozzle-free garden hose. A filter cleaned with K&N cleaning products will ensure a lifetime of performance from your air filter. Instructions for cleaning your K&N air filter are on our Air Filter Cleaning Instructions page.

17. How much oil should I use to re-oil my filter after it is cleaned?

The best way to ensure proper oiling is to use our squeeze bottle recharger kit (Part No. 99-5050). With a squeeze bottle, you simply run a bead along the top of each pleat on both sides of the filter. If using an aerosol recharger kit (Part No. 99-5000), make one light pass over the entire filter area front and back. The oil will then be evenly absorbed throughout the rest of the cotton medium over the next several minutes. We recommend you let your filter set for 1 hour to let any excess oil run off the filter. In any event, you do not need to worry about over oiling your filter and you should make sure the oil appears fully absorbed before re-installation. If you want exact oiling requirements, enter the part number in the "Search by Part" box on our Application Search Page and the factory oil amount will be shown.
Old April 30th, 2009, 4:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
Yea, I would let the computer complete a few drive cycles then see if its ok, I clean my MAF with MAF cleaner about once a month to be on the safe side with the filter oil.
I did a test on my car tonight and replaced the original STP filter that I had in my '03 Impala LS 3.8L and drove it home. I could tell the difference. The car drove like it did before installed the K&N Filter. When I get back to NY, which I will be leaving in 3 weeks, I will reinstall the K&N Filter and run the car for about a week and see how it does. I will also, at the time, pick up some MAF Cleaner and clean the MAF Sensor before reinstalling the K&N Filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter on '03 Impala LS - Are there any Pros & Cons to putting one in??