Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2001 Impala Left Rear Blinker

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Impala Left Rear Blinker

The left rear blinker on my 2001 Impala will not work. The front left works and both on the right side work. All 4way hazard lights flash the brake lights work but I cannot get the left rear blinker to work. I replaced the hazard switch less than a year ago. I have replaced the bulb and checked all fuses. Also, when I switch the left blinker on the dash light flashes slightly quicker than the right side blinker, but not as fast as when a bulb is out.

I have a trailer wiring harness installed on this car and when I hooked trailer lights they operated the same as the car lights: hazards all function and flash, right side blinker works, brake lights work but the left rear blinker still does not work.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old March 1st, 2012, 7:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably the turn signal multifunction switch since the turn signal and brake signal share the wiring between the switch and left tail lamp assembly. The front and rear turn signals are actually on separate circuits and thus the front can work while the rear doesn't.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Where could I find instructions to replace the multifunction switch? I have done some quick google searches and have not found specific instructions for a 2001 Impala.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

If you had to ask, you probably should take it to a shop. It requires the removal of the air bag module, steering wheel, upper and lower trim covers, and whatever else may be in the way. The job's not easy and costs you double if you took it in after messing with it. If you really want to tackle it, check with your local library for factory service manuals or consider an online subscription to ALLDATAdiy.com or eautorepair.net. Be sure to take plenty of pictures before removing each component.
Old March 5th, 2012, 7:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
If you had to ask, you probably should take it to a shop.
Thank you for jumping to conclusions about my mechanical ability. I am more than capable of completing this repair myself, I just like the instructions so I can prepare myself and to have a general outline of the steps and order. So are you telling me that a mechanic who has never completed this specific task before should take it to a shop instead of getting a service manual? I was only looking for someone who has done this before if they had any tips or tricks before I dig in.

Thank you for your help.
Old March 5th, 2012, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

You quoted a single sentence out of context and ran with it, eh? I don't know what to say that's not going to rub your ego the wrong way. Good luck with your project?
Old March 6th, 2012, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

No ego, was only wondering if others had done this before with suggestions. It just is not helpful when someone asks a question and the answer is "take it to someone else to do".