Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

LED Bulb conversion

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2016, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Bulb conversion

I have a 2001 Impala LS. I am already in the process of installing Switchback LEDs in the front turn signals. I am awaiting a pair of 3157 RED LEDs to install into the taillights. I am also awaiting a set of Load Resistors to stop the HyperFlash.

Here is my question:

In the front, what are the wire colors for the left and right turn signal wires? I assume the grounds are black.

In the back, what are the turn signal/brake light colors for the left and right turn signals. I assume the ground is the black with white/grey stripe.
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:09 PM
CF Beginner

I generally Don't mind HyperFlash on my Daewoo, but the Impala's HyperFlash is annoying, not the sound of it, but seeing it from the outside blinking 4X faster is annoying.
Old January 11th, 2016, 9:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean the wire colors at the lights? Can't you just pop the hood and look at them at the headlights and do the same in the trunk for the taillights?

Please tell me what I'm missing from understanding your question. If it can't be figured out by looking at the car, I'll see if it is in the manuals.
Old January 12th, 2016, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by U.Nanimous
You mean the wire colors at the lights? Can't you just pop the hood and look at them at the headlights and do the same in the trunk for the taillights?

Please tell me what I'm missing from understanding your question. If it can't be figured out by looking at the car, I'll see if it is in the manuals.
The front turn signal socket wires (behind the dust cap) are Solid White, White with black stripe and black.

For the taillights i would like to know where in the harness (before the harness plugs into the light assembly) which of the 3 wires are brake/turn. The passenger side has green brown with stripe and black. the driver side has yellow brown and black. I assume the yellow and green wires are where i put the load resistors on

Last edited by LeoTheLion89; January 12th, 2016 at 2:17 PM.
Old January 13th, 2016, 1:23 PM
CF Active Member

From the manual:

Front Park (both) = Yellow (E)
Turn (left) = Light Blue (D)
Turn (right) = Dark Blue (D)
Ground (all) = Black (A)

Rear Park (both) = Brown/White (A)
Turn/Stop (left) = Yellow (B)
Turn/Stop (right) = Dark Green (B)
Ground (all) = Black (C)
Old January 13th, 2016, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by U.Nanimous
From the manual:

Front Park (both) = Yellow (E)
Turn (left) = Light Blue (D)
Turn (right) = Dark Blue (D)
Ground (all) = Black (A)

Rear Park (both) = Brown/White (A)
Turn/Stop (left) = Yellow (B)
Turn/Stop (right) = Dark Green (B)
Ground (all) = Black (C)
SWEET! THANKS! Since I eventually plan to get some aftermarket Projector LED Halo headlight housings, knowing where in the front the turn wires on the car's harness is, will save me from having to rewire in the load resistors when i do the swap.

I actually bought 2 sets of load resisters and already installed one set on the Daewoo. I am awaiting the LEDs for the taillights on the Impala then I will wire in the resistors.
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

The passenger side harness has three dark blue wires. I assume the turn signal wire on the passenger side is the dark blue wire next to the yellow parking light wire?
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:39 PM
CF Active Member

The letters in the "()" is supposed to be the pin location in the connector, other than that I'm just guessing because I pulled that information from a wiring diagram in the manual and not from looking at the car.
So my guess would be 2 of those wires are supposed to be black but due to age have become indistinguishable from the blue wire, or a previous owner did some rewiring again due to the age.
Old January 15th, 2016, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Well good news and bad news.......

Both front Switchback LEDs are installed as is the load resistors in the front.

Bad news:

The 15W LEDs i got for the fog lights were defective all they did was flicker and the longer you ran them they just went out completely or vary dim. I got a new replacement pair tonight (wasn't aware they were coming) so I have yet to try them.

Here is a video uploaded (at request of the seller) showing the flickering.

The LEDs for the taillights were defective as one was in "running light" mode and one was in "brake light" mode. And regardless if the brake lights or parking lights were on the brightness didn't change. A new set is being sent to me on those.

And lastly, in the process of installing the SBLEDs in the front, one of the headlight retaining clips broke, so i have to buy a new one of those too.

Last edited by LeoTheLion89; January 15th, 2016 at 6:15 PM.