Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Low Oil Pressure Light on!! please help.

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2014, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure

Originally Posted by rickyc
I'm going to try the marvel as the poster suggested, then have the valve lifter oil filter inspected for sludge as the chevy rep suggested. I hope to have that done by a local mechanic in the next couple days and I will update this post. Please let me know if you have any solutions, thanks for any assistance.
I have not been back on here for a update but I still have the low oil pressure problem, Last time I Posted i was at 164 K, Now Im at 176K. Still have warning come on several times a day. How can i simply disable the Chime ?? As far as putting motor flush in with such high mileage I have been told that that is not a good thing to do due to all of the loos sludge that will be floating around in the motor.
Any and all Ideas are welcome and wanted.
Old March 4th, 2015, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help

Originally Posted by cupcake
having low oil pressure light stop engine coming on while driving on highway.And does not stay on long.any suggestion
What sensor to get I have a 2006 monte Carlos
Old March 15th, 2015, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default How's it going

Originally Posted by 44fore
Update-
Drove the car yesterday for about 45 minutes, and 30minutes into drive Low Pressure message came on again.. Stopped at chevy dealer and shut car off, when car was restarted no message and no message for return trip home.
This morning my wife went to work (about 2 hr drive) about 35 minutes into drive message came back on, she stopped at a gas station, shut off car, went into store, came out and restarted car, no message now, and finished her drive to work without the message reappearing. Again - all these times there is no strange sounds, no loss of power, and no operating issues.

My intention is to change the oil tonight when she gets home and use the Pennzoil recommendation from EinST above.. but i was wondering if anyone thought there would be any benefit from putting in a oil/engine flush additive to the current oil, allowing it to come to operating temperature, then changing oil to the Pennzoil? If ths is a benefit, does anyone have a recommendation on a good flush to add in (ie. seafoam, marvel, etc.)?

one last question - does the filter housing or adapter, where the Oil filter screws onto, remove easily without having to tear down major engine components? I was thinking that while the filter is off, maybe take this adapter off and clean the port where the pressure sensor sits above the filter. It all appears to be a bolted on aluminum adapter that allows for the pressure sensor/switch and oil filter to be attached to the engine..

thanks.
How's is the car running now? Are you still having the issue?
Old March 15th, 2015, 5:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if this is applicable for a 2007 Impala, but I was getting intermittent low oil pressure errors with my 2001 Impala LS.The care had about 125000 on it when it started. I went around to other forums and found that with at least my model year impala LS with the 3.8L, I could swap in an instrument cluster from a Monte Carlo. Once I got the Monte Carlo cluster, I sent it out ot be refurbished and programmed to match the mileage on my Impala with an additional 1000 miles added to it so both clusters would line up with respect to mileage when I got it back. The MC cluster bolted right in and with no programming the cluster indicated the oil pressure on the gauge in the cluster. As I said, I don't know if this will work with other model years.

Oh - BTW - the displayed pressure was always fine and the warning message never came back.

Last edited by Frank3; March 15th, 2015 at 5:42 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

2009 Chevy Impala LT 3.5 with 213,000+ miles - I get the "OIL PRESSURE LOW STOP ENGINE" code all the time. Finally got tired and searched hoping that GM did a recall with a fix...yea right, huh!
I drive 138 miles a day round trip, Monday through Friday, then my car is usually parked on the weekend...mostly. I got it with around 53,000 miles and I have been fortunate to not have it in the shop once since I've owned it!!! The code started popping up around 160,000 and has happened a few times in the last months. The other day it happened at least 6 times in a half hour. Like someone stated before, it would usually shut off when you slow down and I found out, when you speed up (I know its not recommended but I tromped the gas one time because I was having a bad day and wanted to make it worse).
It has been over a year since someone posted here, but at least I finally find that I am not alone on this!!!
At 200,000 I started using Mobile 1 Full Synthetic oil and FRAM synthetic filter with oil changes every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. Prior to that I used Motorcraft (don't judge me) Synthetic Blend with a FRAM XtraGuard filter. I usually substitute one quart of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer.
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2012 Chev Impala 3.8 with 155,000 kms (Canada), I had an oil change two weeks ago if that makes a difference!
It seems that after reading all posts I may have the newest Impala here but with the same ongoing "Oil Pressure Low Stop Engine" issue.
The first time it happened was about a month ago. I pulled over, took a breath and restarted the engine and it was gone. Since then it has slowly gotten worse.
Yesterday after a 300 Km trip (no issues) we got home and unloaded car. After 30 min rest for car I went into town. No less than 8 times the Low Oil light came on (with constant annoying chiming bell). Normally putting the car in neutral and restarting would get rid of the warning but this time it would only last for a min or two than return again. I will get the sensor changed in the next day or two but from all posts here it looks like this may not work! I will reply back on my findings.
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

i have same issue ..no knocking or noise or lag ...no over heating etc light randomly comes on and gos off some times for a sec sometimes for 30 seconds
looks like its not realy low oil pressure tho ..and never does it at idle < 3.9 buick terraza > looked online for <valve lifter oil filter > and dont see one on this engine

Last edited by Tom C Madison; July 27th, 2016 at 7:42 PM.
Old August 7th, 2016, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same issue "Low oil pressure, stop engine" on my 2010 Impala. Have had he problem since 165k and still having the problem after two oil changes. Mechanics said it is a faulty sensor but the dealership would like to charge me $99 to diagnose the problem. I am scared knowing that the dealership will always come back with so many parts to replace which may not solve the problem. Do I run any risk in continuing to drive my vehicle other than the annoying chimes?
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default Solved: Use AC Delco Oil Filter

Once I used the AC Delco oil filter on my 2007 Impala, this problem went away.
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious, has anyone put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on to see what the oil pressure is when the low oil pressure light comes on?

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure Light on!! please help.