Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

low oil pressure lite & warning

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default low oil pressure lite & warning

I have an '07 Impala LT, 3.5 V6 Flex-fuel. Last night started intermittent low oil pressure warning. I think it might be a failing oil pressure sensor. Has anyone experienced this. Oil level is fine , filter is tight , no leaks , 133,000 miles. Any thoughts TIA , Chris
Old November 15th, 2012, 2:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Probably is sensor, however better safe have the oil pressure checked.
Old November 16th, 2012, 7:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Default oil pressure switch

Kevinkpk , thanks for the response, Chris
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Angry oil pressure sensor

Does anyone know the proper way to get at this sensor. I read to remove oil filter then sensor. Can't get at it from underneath. I managed to loosen it from above after removing exhaust heat shield and top motor mount. Just can't get my hand on it to remove it. I have a 27mm motorcycle axle wrench that I just barely was able to loosen it with. The problem is going to be getting the new one's threads started . I'm thinking the starter may have to come out. Any thoughts anyone? TIA Chris
Old November 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM
CF Monarch

Maybe this can help?
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Default sensor/switch

kevinkpk, thanks again. Unfortunately on my V6 the sensor/switch is down by the oil filter. The starter has to come out. Have a good day, Chris
Old November 18th, 2012, 1:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Default oil pressure sender/switch

OK, in case this helps someone , to change the oil pressure sender/sensor/switch on a 3.5 V6,( in a 2007 Impala) remove oil filter, remove starter, and voila there it is. 27 mm deep socket removes it. I wasted time trying to do it from above. Now I know. Also you will need a 3/8 universal on the end of a 6" extension to get at one of the starter bolts. There is a plastic inspection cover that comes off first. Two 15mm bolts on starter, three 10mm screws on inspection cover, 13 mm on cable connection to starter and one clip connection to solenoid. Inspection cover is 2 piece, only lower piece needs to come off. BTW, disconnect battery negative terminal first. Also I used a 1/2 " drive 27mm deep socket with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter with handle . It fits better. Have fun, Chris

Last edited by J C Smith; November 18th, 2012 at 1:36 PM. Reason: add. info
Old November 18th, 2012, 3:35 PM
CF Monarch

Thanks Chris for posting back, that will help someone in the future. Did this fix your issue?
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up oil pressure switch

kevinkpk, the new switch did the trick. I initially tried from underneath 'cuz I need to change radiator hoses also. But I had (am having) problems getting the splash pan doohickey off to gain access. I got all the plastic push rivet thingamagigs off except 3 recessed that can be seen thru the upper grill. What a PIA. Anyway I hope someone can use this info. Apparently it is common. So as I said, I went the starter removal route which is the proper way. Thanks for the interest. Chris
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure lite and warning

I'm just starting to have this light and warning issue on my '06 Impala. Thanks for the information. Based on the symptoms I figured it would be a pressure switch or sending unit of some sort.

Quick Reply: low oil pressure lite & warning