Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Luminics Headlight/Fog Light Bulbs - Has Anyone Used Them?

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2009, 5:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Luminics Headlight/Fog Light Bulbs - Has Anyone Used Them?

I am looking at replacing my High Beam, Low Beam & Fog Light Bulbs on my 2003 Impala LS. I was wondering if anyone has ever used Luminics Bulbs and if so, do you like them? If you have used them, which color or colors have you used or are currently using? I have read some other sites and people seem to be pretty pleased. There is Titanium White, Hyper/Ultra White, Ultra Violet, Pure Blue & JDM Yellow. They are available in Krypton & Regular bulbs. Please let me know. I am interested in getting the High and Low Beams in the Hyper/Ultra White Bulbs and the Fog Lights in the Pure Blue. Another combination I was thinking of was Hyper/Ultra White High Beam, Pure Blue Low Beam and Fog Lights. I just don't want to go spend the money on them, as they start at around $25/set and go up as much as $65/set, and be disappointed in how they look and perform. Any info and insight would be great appreciated.

Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2009, 9:41 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll be dissapointed.
If you are going to get expensive bulbs, get HIDs. 80-90 bucks on ebay per set ballasts included. With those, you get the blue look an output up to 5 times greater than coated incandescent bulbs.
Coated bulbs like that do not last long at all and have a very poor light output despite company claims. Anytime you have a coated bulb, you are going to have crappy output. I have been there and done that with a set of coated Raybrigs in my Blazer. They were bright and really white initially, but the coating eventually yellowed with the heat and one blew. They have been in there less than a year.
Old January 26th, 2009, 2:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
You'll be dissapointed.
If you are going to get expensive bulbs, get HIDs. 80-90 bucks on ebay per set ballasts included. With those, you get the blue look an output up to 5 times greater than coated incandescent bulbs.
Coated bulbs like that do not last long at all and have a very poor light output despite company claims. Anytime you have a coated bulb, you are going to have crappy output. I have been there and done that with a set of coated Raybrigs in my Blazer. They were bright and really white initially, but the coating eventually yellowed with the heat and one blew. They have been in there less than a year.
Hmmm.... That does make a lot of sense. I have been thinking about converting. So, I would need like 2 sets then to replace the High Beam and Low Beam lights? Will the converted lights work with my existing headlight housing or do I need to get some aftermarket housing with projector lenses, etc.? I figure getting a 3rd conversion kit for my fog lights would be a waste.. wouldn't you say? I take it you converted your lights on one of your vehicles? If so, is it pretty simple? Is there a set on eBay you recommend? I see some sets around $60 or so.

Thanks!
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:14 AM
CF Monarch

So, I would need like 2 sets then to replace the High Beam and Low Beam lights?
Yes. You will need two sets. Look up the bulb number for your car's headlights.

Will the converted lights work with my existing headlight housing or do I need to get some aftermarket housing with projector lenses, etc.?
To optimize the light concentration, you will want a HID-designed assembly. Its not a must. You can install them in your stock housings.

I figure getting a 3rd conversion kit for my fog lights would be a waste.. wouldn't you say?
Not at all. HIDs can be a great thing in fog lights. However, I would not at all recommend getting a blue/bluish set of HIDs for the foglights, a yellow 3200k set will give you maximum effectiveness. Yellow cuts through fog a lot better than blue or white.

I take it you converted your lights on one of your vehicles? If so, is it pretty simple?
Yeah, my Blazer is HID high-beam and I'm ordering the set for the low-beams soon. Its not hard at all. You will want to get the relay kit with each set of HIDs you buy.
When installed, you will hear a high-pitched, almost inaudible hum from the ballasts. A lot of people unhook the HIDs because they are afraid they are burning something up when they hear the hum. Its normal operation.

Is there a set on eBay you recommend? I see some sets around $60 or so.
The cheap set will do really well. MAKE SURE IT HAS THE BALLASTS.
I got one of the cheapest sets and it turned out to be made by G.E... I have not had any problems at all and I have had them for almost a year. The difference between the expensive sets and the cheap sets is the misfire rate and time of ignition. The cheaper ones will misfire regularly (cutting them off and back on will fix) and will take a little longer to reach full brightness (2-3 sec as opposed to .5 sec)

Last edited by EvansBlue; January 27th, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 2:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Lightbulb

Wonderful! It looks as though I am gonna drop the idea of getting the regular type bulbs with the colors tinting and go with an HID Conversion setup. If you say they will work well in my stock housing but better in a HID designed housing then I will stick with my stock housing for now and get an HID housing later on down the road.

I think I will go with the Yellow for the Fog Lights. I really don't want to turn them on and make things worse by not having something there designed to cut through the fog.

So besides the HID Conversion Kit, there is a Relay Kit that I will need as well? How and where do I find that or is that included in most HID Conversion Kits? I see all the kits come with 2 Bulbs, 2 little metal boxes with cable coming out of them (Ballasts), Cables, 3M Tape, Zip Ties, etc.

I guess the setup I will go with is 6000K (9005-High), 10000K (6006-Low) & 3000K (896 or 881-Fog).

Here is a set I found on eBay. Give me your opinions on this set.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...3A1|240%3A1318

Here is a set of, I am guessing, HID designed headlight housing for 00-05 Impala. Is this what you were talking about EvansBlue?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3A1|240%3A1318

I think they will fit the HID Conversion Kits. Some of the say they will not. The Housing setup above says it comes with H1 bulbs. Mine take the 9005/9006, is that going to be an issue or can I just pop those out and put in my HID Converted 9005's/9006's? You can get them in Black or Chrome Housing. Let me know your thoughts on that too or if anyone has a better idea.

THANKS!!
Old January 27th, 2009, 5:30 PM
CF Monarch

Relay kit: http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmp...+kit&_osacat=0

You have two routes to take.

-Stay with your stockers and go with 9005 and 9006.
OR---
-Order the new assemblies, then order the HIDs in the bulb numbers that the new assembly requires.

In my opinion, you should drop the idea about the aftermarket headlight asseblies and stay with what you have. The aftermarkets are not specifically designed for HID either. I don't think HID assemblies are availible for the Impala.

Color temperatures:
6000k is fine. I like 4300-5000k but 6000k is fine. 10,000k will give you a headache. They are uber blue.

I would go with 6000k in both high and low and 3000k in the fogs.
Old January 28th, 2009, 9:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Relay kit: http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmp...+kit&_osacat=0

You have two routes to take.

-Stay with your stockers and go with 9005 and 9006.
OR---
-Order the new assemblies, then order the HIDs in the bulb numbers that the new assembly requires.

In my opinion, you should drop the idea about the aftermarket headlight asseblies and stay with what you have. The aftermarkets are not specifically designed for HID either. I don't think HID assemblies are availible for the Impala.

Color temperatures:
6000k is fine. I like 4300-5000k but 6000k is fine. 10,000k will give you a headache. They are uber blue.

I would go with 6000k in both high and low and 3000k in the fogs.
Sounds like an excellent idea. I will stick with the stock headlights and go with the 6000k in High/Low Beams and 3000k Fogs. Don't need no headaches.

Is this the Relay setup you were talking about that needs to go with the HID Conversion Kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harne...spagenameZWDVW

Do I need to get one for each side, one for each type of bulb or one for each bulb? I will most likely do this modification after I get back to NY State.
Old January 29th, 2009, 9:34 PM
CF Monarch

Not sure if I would go with that kit. Just a little expensive for only two sets.
Bulb size should not matter. the one you linked to is a complete wiring kit. you only need the relay & fuse kit because some of the wiring comes with the HID kit.

This was the one I was referring to. You'll have to buy 3:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by EvansBlue; February 3rd, 2009 at 4:14 PM.
Old January 30th, 2009, 6:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Talking

Thanks so much. I will save that auction.