Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Need help finding parts needed for after market car stereo installation

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2016, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding parts needed for after market car stereo installation

My car: 2007 Impala.

The unit I'm looking to have installed is a Kenwood DPX501BT 2-DIN receiver. The one that I purchased is a manufacturer refurbished receiver from this eBay listing. According to the listing details, it comes with all accessories supplied by the manufacturer. According to the Best Buy product page for the same model, the only part included is the harness.

My Impala doesn't have steering wheel radio controls, a Bose system or OnStar. The entire stereo and speaker system is stock. Can someone tell me what additional parts I'm going to need for the installation (dash kit, etc.)? Also, does anyone know where I can find these parts for the best price?

I plan to just have it installed by Best Buy. Their price for installation isn't too bad and I've had a Best Buy gift card sitting in my wallet for a while.

Thank you in advance!
Old January 8th, 2016, 3:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Buy will have the hardware needed to install it However due to the cost of hardware involved, you might be saving a big chunk of money by getting a Single DIN unit. You are looking at a added $100+ This is because of the harware needed. you need the dash kit which includes the filler bracket to mount the stereo to the car and fit the hole, as well as the vehicle wire harness. you will need to spenf another $80-100 for a Interface module which will retain RAP, Chimes and if you had it, onstar and the factory amp. What will save you money, is not needing to spend another $50 or so on a Steering Wheel Control adaptor module. The Install itself, would run you another $50. I had Best Buy install the stereo in my car back in 2006, at that time any stereo $99.99 or more was free installation. You also have the option of up to a 4 year extended warranty, which includes free removal and factory unit install if you get rid of the car during the warranty period. So expect this: Cost of stereo, add around $100 for the dash kit, plus if you choose to add the cost of the extended warranty, oh and I HIGHLY recommend you getting a new set of speakers to go with the unit, the Stock speakers will by no means be able to handle the power output of the new stereo, you DO NOT need to get the speakers at the same time especially if cost is a issue, but I can tell you from experience, using stock speakers on a aftermarket unit really hurts sound quality. I use stock speakers on my unit, 17W system with peak of 52W per channel, on 20W stock speakers causes a MAJOR amount of distortion.