Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

no go and backfire when power most needed

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2014, 7:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no go and backfire when power most needed

i was doing a double merge (one ramp merges to another ramp then to the highway) and to avoid a sandwich needed some get up. there not only was nothing when i pressed down to the floor, it made a loud backfire and when it did finally go was nowhere near full power.

also in the past few weeks i did notice that the chrome exhaust ports were black. never having such things before, i dont know if this is normal or not, i know exhaust is not clean per se though

after this incident the car drove just fine but with only 5K on im a tad worried. and if i did take it in to the dealer would they charge me anything to look at it and what could they do? this isnt reproduceable.
Old April 24th, 2014, 7:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn... How can you not have any codes?

If your tips are black you're probably running rich.
Old May 14th, 2014, 7:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dealers official answer is this is exactly the way this car is. they said the lack of power is normal operation and has to do with torque management. the car has to apparently think what gear to go to when you floor it.

remember the good old days when there was a cable that told your engine MOVE NOW! i long for those days. if they are gonna have to get all cars to 50 mpg in a few years i wonder what kind of crappy 'managment' they will have on our engines now. truly if you limit every car to 60 you would save so much money. why not do that to everyone?