Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Oil Pressure Sensor/Sending Unit/Switch

Old January 28th, 2016, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Sensor/Sending Unit/Switch

Intermittently, but for a while, I've been getting a "Low Oil Pressure. Stop Engine Now" (or similar) message displayed, along w red oil lamp light, on the dash of my 2007 Impala 3900/3.9.
It had only happened twice before (briefly!) but today was much more frequent and constant.

Originally thought the oil level may be low but level is perfect.
I have concluded/self-diagnosed this as likely Oil Pressure Sending Unit, or Oil Pressure Sensor.
Questions.
1. If this sensor or unit is bad, but oil level is still full and not low/dry - do I risk damage to the engine? I.e. More than a warning light which could be a false trigger (malfunctioning sensor), would that malfunctioning sensor cause pressure fluctuations and therefore motor damage? Hence, do not drive the car!?
2. I called local Oreillys, they only pull up a part number for OP Sensor/"Switch" as ONE unit... Is the "Switch" the same as "Sending Unit", and includes the Sensor? One part to fix all?
3. Im not terribly handy but can do certain small things - watched a helpful YouTube video - is this the part that goes underneath heat shield, front left/middle of motor WHEN LOOKING AT IT? Can I replace this myself, with my limited knowledge? The video in question showed tools needed of a few sockets and extensions, and removal of the heat shield, plus being careful with pig tails on the unit... The video however only showed before + after, NOT the actual removal process. Are there any other helpful replacement videos that you gents know of? It doesn't seem too bad though!

Thanks in advance for your helpful replies, gents!
Old January 29th, 2016, 7:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the sensors do go bad. as long as your not hearing a lifter tap or engine knock and the oil level is proper...its most likely just a bad sensor. a bad sensor will not cause damage to the engine.

have not done a 3.9 but later models sensor were located by the oil filter and just screwed into place.

can't help you on the aftermarket parts. if your really worried about the correct part, get it at the dealer.

Search this Thread