Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Only 900 miles on my 2014 1LT Impala and it has a big problem-can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2015, 3:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only 900 miles on my 2014 1LT Impala and it has a big problem-can anyone help?

First new car in over 25 years and I believe I have a lemon. Test dove the 4 cyl LT at lest 4 times and just loved it-smooth and quiet and was going to average 25 mpg. I called the dealer the day after I got it home asking about an engine bog-an almost constant "rumble" at low rpms. Most noticeable when ever I am going up a slight incline or after slowing down to take a corner and slightly accelerating. It just "bogs out" making a deep growling noise until I stomp down on the pedal to make it downshift. When I'm going along in 5th or 6th gear-maybe 30 mph if I want to slightly increase my speed the engine just bogs down and does not pick up speed until I push the pedal almost half way to the floor causing a down shift. I feel like I have to constantly manipulate the throttle to stop this constant loud rumble which I can only call a low rpm bog. Took it back to dealer at 400 miles-not only with this almost constant bog but an 18 mpg average- no engine code so everything is fine-they felt the bog but will be better as everything breaks in. At 900 miles with a 18.8 average miles per gallon and the bogging driving me crazy I went to different dealer and test drove a new one just like mine and it was perfect-always in the right gear and no engine rumble or bog. Forgot to mention at least twice a day-the car "stumbles"-like an engine miss-always at low speeds. By the way I am very easy on the throttle and am on the freeway a lot of the time to get that 18 mpg. So a couple days ago I went to 2 local dealers service dept. They check it for codes and just tell me that it's normal to have to manipulate the throttle of a 4 cyl car-the bog and rumbling sound are normal and you can't get good millage in the winter. I opened up a case number with GM-but it's just lip service. I hate driving my car and believe I will be selling it only to buy the same exact vehicle that works like it should. At my last service appointment the trans. guy thinks that what I call the bog is possibly an engine or tranny vibration and set up an appointment to look under the car next week. I was just happy that someone heard this constant low rpm rumble and agreed it was not normal. I still think it must be running rich-bad gas millage with low rpm bog and engine stumble. Anyone have a thought-thanks
Old February 20th, 2015, 9:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be a camshaft position actuator. But that's a guess. Usually a code would be set at some point.

I have a P0010 at 860 miles on my 3.6L. I had horrible gas mileage - but couldn't tell at that point since the car was new. After the part change - I could tell idle was smoother again..it was hard to notice not driving the car much.

I would imagine they could check the timing on the computer - and possibly see that something is a little extreme - but not yet out of spec for the computer to complain. But then again - I'm not a tech and don't work at a dealership.
Old February 20th, 2015, 3:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the dealer can not find the problem, demand the car be reviewed by a Chevrolet Service Rep, make sure he drives your car and a new one on the lot for comparison. The 4cyl is not the fastest engine out there but should more than adequate to move the car without any real drama. You should also start logging your complaints with Chevrolet Customer Service so that there are records showing that you tried to get the issue resolved. Nobody should have to sell a vehicle with 900 miles on it just to buy another one that works properly.

Last edited by Impala-Blue-2.; February 20th, 2015 at 3:07 PM.
Old February 26th, 2015, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

There are lemon laws you might want to check out too.

familiarize yourself with them. might be helpful.

telling people ot drive both cars is a great idea.
Old February 27th, 2015, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

my opinion is a 4 banger in a car as heavy as the impala is a waste ( motor works to hard to move the weight ) . If you need to push the gas down that hard for a down shift i would think you need someone to take a good look at the transmission something doesn't seem right .