Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

What is GM Certified??

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2010, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is GM Certified??

I recently purchased a 2007 Impala LT(3) with 54,000 miles. I bought it from a dealership as a GM Certified Used Vehicle. Since having it for a month or so, I have noticed two persistant problems that seem to be common for the car. First, the headlights and interior lights flicker when on the highway (commonly attributed to changing from 3 cylinders to 6 and visa versa). And secondly, I can detect a audible shimmy coming from somewhere in the front of the car. I am assuming that could be a problem with the brake rotors, however I have not yet had the noise and slight vibration on the pedals affect the way the car handles or brakes.

My question is this: Sold as a GM Certified Used Vehicle, are these problems simply part of the car I bought, or should the certification of the car have corrected them or cover their diagnoses and repair?

Any help anyone could offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old April 27th, 2010, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

If you it is a Certified Used Car, any GM dealer will take care of the warrenty. You have 12 months and 12,000 miles of Bumper to Bumper warrenty, just like when it was new. Plus the 5 year 100,000 power train. Brakes are not typically a warrenty item but should be covered in the 12/12 part. As for the 3 cyl/6 cyl not sure who sold you that but your car does not do that!!! I hope it is certified if you believed in the 3cyl/6cyl business they may have sold you one that is not and saved them selves some money..
Old April 29th, 2010, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

The 3.5 liters variable valve timing 6 cylinders does not run on cylinders configuration. It is always on 6 cylinders.
Old May 15th, 2010, 7:22 AM
CF Junior Member

GM Certified is only what it says. It has GM's name on it and they use it on their vehicles. It does not mean that it is the best quality part possible. Many after market parts such as brake components that are, in some cases cheaper than GM parts will do a better job than the sub par brake parts that GM installed on many of their vehicles during the last 5 or 6 years. The premature failure of parts on GM vehicles was just one of the signs of a "broken business model" that GM had prior to their bankruptcy in 2009.

I am waiting to see if GM has learned a lesson and will produce a product that is much better quality than in recent years past.
Old May 17th, 2010, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default wrong ice777

You are obviuosly blowing smoke because GM Certified has nothing to do with GM parts. And it is not just a lable or name they hung on their parts. A Certified GM car, because that is what is certified not parts, has 12/12 bumper to bumper even if you have no factory warranty, plus a 5 year 100,000 mile power train warranty from original in service date. The car has to go through a 117 point inspection, it has to have an acceptable thread depth onthe tires. It cannot have any broken, missing, or damage on it. And in most cases the same company that makes GM parts are the same ones that make NAPA, NAtonal Bushing, Bumper to Bumper, and most other retailers. The quality of their parts had nothing to do with the bankruptcy. And as far as a quality product over all, GM has the best warranty in the business with 5 years or 100,000 miles of powertrain warranty. With a zero deductable and no transfer fee, the waaranty stays with the car. So you better do your home work, and watch a different news station because you are very mis informed.....Check it out at gmcertified.com
Old September 27th, 2010, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Pwned
Old September 30th, 2010, 5:11 PM
CF Junior Member

I have heard that there are two kinds of Certifications. One is the dealer certification the other GM certification. Guess which is the better certification. I traced the certification for my Impala on the GM web site.
Old September 30th, 2010, 9:30 PM
CF Junior Member

The certified cars are cars that were checked out and any problems have been corrected.
They then add a 12/12 warranty. The certification adds to the price of the car but it is worth it to many people. Most of the late model cars are off-lease or rental cars. There are not enough privately purchased cars available because most individuals are still upside down if the cars are only a year or two old.