Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Parking Brake Adjustment

I made an adjustment once but the pedal was just not firm enough. Apparently for 2009 the Impala had a different system for parking brake adjustment. Looks like the adjustment will not firm up the pedal.
This Impala LT has about 32.000 miles on it so I don't suspect the pads. Anyone with experience on this?
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by klutz1
I made an adjustment once but the pedal was just not firm enough. Apparently for 2009 the Impala had a different system for parking brake adjustment. Looks like the adjustment will not firm up the pedal.
This Impala LT has about 32.000 miles on it so I don't suspect the pads. Anyone with experience on this?
Klutz1,

Did you push down on the brake pedal before engaging the parking brake?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 1st, 2011, 8:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. When I bought the Impala with 6000 miles on it the PB was low.
I made an adjustment which raised the PB. Now at 30,000 it is on the floor! Some adjustment left but still not satisfactory. I tested other BP's in the showroom and they are OK. What do you mean ...."Did you push down on the brake pedal before engaging the parking brake?"
(I brought it to my local dealer and they gave me a haed time because I didn't buy it there. So I told them to shove it and left. Previously I have tried to buy or lease a Malibu or Impala from them for a few YEARS but there attitude sent me packing. In an other instant they refused to honor the warrenty for a busted stud on the Impala until I complained to Chevy and the BBB. THEN they fixed it.) I have owned two Malibus' previously and both were great. I love this Impala LT.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by klutz1
Thanks for the reply. When I bought the Impala with 6000 miles on it the PB was low.
I made an adjustment which raised the PB. Now at 30,000 it is on the floor! Some adjustment left but still not satisfactory. I tested other BP's in the showroom and they are OK. What do you mean ...."Did you push down on the brake pedal before engaging the parking brake?"
(I brought it to my local dealer and they gave me a haed time because I didn't buy it there. So I told them to shove it and left. Previously I have tried to buy or lease a Malibu or Impala from them for a few YEARS but there attitude sent me packing. In an other instant they refused to honor the warrenty for a busted stud on the Impala until I complained to Chevy and the BBB. THEN they fixed it.) I have owned two Malibus' previously and both were great. I love this Impala LT.
Klutz1,

I must have taken what you wrote the wrong way. I thought you were trying to engage in your parking brake and it wouldn’t work properly. I apologize for the mix up. Is the adjustment causing any issues with your vehicle at this time? I am glad that you're enjoying your vehicle!

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old June 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
CF Junior Member

I reread the instructions and the statement you made is correct. Yes, I do step on the pedal. It is the BP that's bottoming on the floor. I will readjust the brakes again today and see if that will bring up the PB pedal. I have US Army and private experience with Army trucks and cars. Thanks.

Last edited by klutz1; June 1st, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old June 1st, 2011, 8:24 PM
CF Junior Member

I tried to adjust the PB today; tightening the cable. Not much better. Doesn't hold in reverse with brake engaged. I purchased the Impala in Phoenix, from a well know New Chevy dealer, as a Certifed GM Vehicle. I noticed the PB was low at that time but thought it minor and drove home to Cottonwood Az. 100 miles away leaving my Malibu there. ( Note my experience with the Cottonwood dealer above) I take 'Certified' with a grain of salt. Gave up on repairs. Now I am trying to fix the problem. As certified, the Impala ahould still be under warrenty. Should be a recall.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 6:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Finally got an answer. I found this site w/ google search. Lousy design to adjust PB on 2009. Got to remove the wheel and rotor to adjust it. The PB equalizer does nothing. I tried it twice. This was a 'Certified' Impala bought in 2009 w/6000 miles on it. Sticker was checked off to note that everything was OK and checked. Baloney. The BP was loose then and is now. The Vehicle was bought in Phoenix and garaged in Cottonwood (100 miles North) I found a busted stud in RR wheel. Dealer claimed it is not covered under warrrenty! Changed his mind when I paged Chevy Customer Service and the BBB. Thie is a BtoB warrenty but the stud is not covered???
Doesn't say that in the owners manual.
To adjust PB.........

http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowTo/ParkingBrake.html