Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Please help 00 impala nightmare

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2015, 1:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please help 00 impala nightmare

Recently bought a 2000 Chevy impala. First night driving noticed I had no dash lights and my heat and ac gauges were not lit up either. Checked all the fuses they were all good. Pulled the dash apart everything seams to be hooked up. So taped a flashlight to dash. I can deal with that. I made the mistake of letting someone try to swap out my factory deck for another one long story short they did a horrible job. Went to start my car and nothing happened besides powering on. Car made no attempt to star. Removed the deck and now have just a hole in dash but car starts again. Next day was told my taillights were not working. Took it to shop to see if they could help because it was not a fuse or bulb. They said replace headlight switch. Replaced headlight switch and I now have no blinkers or brake lights either. My reverse lights still work though. Did find some janky wiring and rewiring that is clearly not factory and was wrapped in duct tape instead of electrical tape. Can somone please tell me how to make my rear light work. Have had multiple people look at it but nobody has been able to pin point the problem. Was thinking maybe the ground for my rear light? Someone else had suggested a blinker switch but seeing as I replaced headlight switch and it got worse I don't want to waste my time and money. I am a widowed mother and do not have a lot of cash.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 7:36 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The fuse panel on the right side of the instrument panel has a park light relay and fuse. Re-check the ' REAR PARK LP' fuse. To test the relay, try swapping the 'PARK LP' relay with the 'BACKUP LP' relay.
With the lights ON, try pulling the 'PARK LP" relay, you should be able to hear the relay click ON/OFF while pulling/plugging-in the relay. If you don't hear it clicking you may have issues with the wiring to the light switch.
The HAZARD warning light switch is a common problem for malfunctioning turn signals. Do the lights work with the HAZARD flasher ON? Try cycling the switch ON/OFF a few times.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 12:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by a55bruce
The fuse panel on the right side of the instrument panel has a park light relay and fuse. Re-check the ' REAR PARK LP' fuse. To test the relay, try swapping the 'PARK LP' relay with the 'BACKUP LP' relay.
With the lights ON, try pulling the 'PARK LP" relay, you should be able to hear the relay click ON/OFF while pulling/plugging-in the relay. If you don't hear it clicking you may have issues with the wiring to the light switch.
The HAZARD warning light switch is a common problem for malfunctioning turn signals. Do the lights work with the HAZARD flasher ON? Try cycling the switch ON/OFF a few times.
Good idea on the hazard switch. I had that happen on my 2001 Impala. By pushing it in an out a couple of times, it seems to remake the contacts and would work for a week or two. I did this until I got tired of it and replaced the hazard blinker assembly/switch. If I remember correctly it was something like $ 57.00. I remember saying to myself, why can't we go back to one of those "old-fashioned" blinker cans for $ 2 - 3.00.

Last edited by Frank3; September 3rd, 2015 at 12:25 PM.