Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Remote start and automatic climate control

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2011, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start and automatic climate control

Hi all,

New to the forum, also new to Chevy and the Impala. I bought a used 2010 Impala LTZ a couple months ago - for the most part I am really enjoying this car.

My issue is this - per the owner's manual, when I use the remote starter, it may also start the automatic climate control - which it does. It goes on to say it will automatically regulate the inside temperature.

What I've noticed though is that when the fan comes on from the remote start (the fan switch itself is OFF), I do NOT see the yellow light which normally would indicate that the A/C is on.

If I put the key in the ignition and turn it on, the fan will go off as it should, since the switch is off. When I turn the fan switch on AND press the snowflake button for the A/C, the yellow light comes on as normal.

Question: is it normal/correct that the yellow A/C light does NOT come on when the fan does, when using the remote start? I noticed this morning that after about 20 seconds, the air coming did feel cool, may have been the A/C running afterall, I just don't know for sure and that's what I'm trying to determine - is the A/C working like this or just the fan?

Any replies would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Diceman; September 2nd, 2011 at 7:33 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 6:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The A/C request indicator on the snowflake button seems to have a mind of its own on GM vehicles of late. The indicator doesn't really reflect the on/off state of the A/C compressor. For example, the A/C compressor may run when the climate control is set to the recirculation mode or defog mode with the fan on, depending on the ambient temperature. If you keep in mind the "request" part, it may make more sense, i.e., the indicator won't be lit if you don't press it.
Old September 4th, 2011, 8:36 AM
CF Junior Member

I have had my 08 LT for almost 3 years and use the remote start frequently. When the AC is working with the remote start, no lights come on. The temperature is predetermined and has no relation to what the controls are set at. It goes back to the normal settings when the ignition switch is turned on. In the winter, both front and rear defrosters come on with the remote start and it reverts back to the normal settings when the switch is turned to on. No lights come on indicating what is on until the switch is turned on. The outside temperature determines whether the AC or defrosters come on.
Old September 6th, 2011, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Wonderful, thank you both for the quick replies! It appears that I have nothing to worry about as you both confirmed that in fact the A/C indicator light does NOT come on along with the auto climate control, when the engine was started remotely.

I also tested this myself a couple times, allowing the engine to run a bit longer than last time, before getting inside and feeling the noticeably cool A/C coming through.

I really appreciate the feedback, glad I found this forum.

Thanks again!
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're quite welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy your vehicle even more, come wintertime.
Old September 7th, 2011, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

love my remote start and having the heat especially come on. Have used it a couple time in summer and it blows hard cool...

hate the fact i can not turn off the compressor and not have the outside air open. when you push the ac button it will turn off compressor but also goes to outside air. my toyota has a button i push the compressor goes off and push again it goes on. That way if i am going up a hill i can turn comp off to help MPG.. say with starting from stop sign/light I can turn off till i get some speed and and go back to cooling..

GM engineers need to quite trying to figure out what I want to do and let me do it.

when you push the Ac button and go to push for recirculate the compress come back on.
Old March 25th, 2014, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2013 Impala with Remote starter. Is there any way you can regulate the fan speed on the climate control, possibly a lower speed when the remote start comes on. Maybe even to not have the heat or a/c come on at all ??
Old April 1st, 2014, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote start and automatic climate control

I don't believe there is a way to change the climate control settings for remote start. Those settings are firmware locked and without getting into the wiring, I don't see a way.

Would be nice though if we could set them through the normal user process.
Old October 20th, 2014, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

We are having sort of the same problem, would appreciate any help. When we remotely start our 2011 Impala and then get in the car and turn on the key, the fan will not work. It usually will work again after a few starts with just the key. Anyone have ideas? We do much mechanical work on our cars (just changed front wheel bearings). Is there a resistor somewhere or ??? Thanks for any help!
Old October 21st, 2014, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start by checking the wiring harness connection to the blower assembly. Look for loose or corroded connections. If it has blown fuses before, the blower is going out. Otherwise it will more than likely be a bad connection.