Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Reprograming airbag module

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2016, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprograming airbag module

I have a 2002 Impala LS. The water guard seal above the blower motor fell off and the passenger side floor filled up with water, damaging the airbag control module under the passenger seat.
I purchased a complete system from a non-crashed 2002 LS--module, steering air bag, passenger air bag, clock spring, module harness--but I only installed the module.
The P1001 code--configuration error--shows up on the code scan. Plus the airbag warning light is on all the time.
The Chevrolet dealer tells me that my “used” module can’t be configured to my car’s BCM and buying a new, un-programmed airbag module from them is the only way to fix the airbag system--a $450 part plus $139 programming fee.
I have not heard of a computer that can’t be programmed or re-programmed. I am looking for help with this issue.
Old May 28th, 2016, 2:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

pretty sure you can program your vin into the sdm and then set up the sdm primary key in the bcm to correct this. try another dealer.
Sometimes it all who you talk to. if you get stone walled, try the shop foreman, service advisors and service managers deal with customers not fixing cars and may not have the correct answers all the time.

Last edited by tech2; May 28th, 2016 at 2:14 PM.