Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Side Blind Zone Monitoring system not functioning

Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM that's an awful response! It sounds like there needs to be a service bulletin out for this. Just started having the same proble with my 2014 LTZ. This was after the dealer had to REMOVE THE BUMPER to replace a burned out HEADLIGHT. Talk about ridiculous. Had to take it back again because a part was hanging from the front bumper. Then, on the same side, the blind spot detection stopped working. Only 35500 miles but 2 weeks out of warranty. I am NOT happy.
Old November 16th, 2017, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

There is a definite issue with the side detection system, all the sensitive electronics for it are just up under the rear valance of the Impala. They are exposed to all kinds of environmental exposure, namely water (and salt if your roads are salted in the winter) and have absolutely no waterproofing. Such a simple solution to avoid the issue and something that would have cost GM pennies. The same components are used across many of the GM model lines and according to the parts guy at my local dealership, he can't keep the control modules in stock (there are two in each vehicle). I am in discussion with GM Canada now because I have purchased five of the modules ($500 each) and two of the wire harnesses ($130 each) to repair my system. All they seem to think is appropriate is to offer to fix it at 50% of the repair cost.

What they are trying to avoid acknowledging is that the shorting caused by the electrical component corrosion, wreaks havoc with the entire computer system in the vehicle. I have had eight power downs while operating my Impala on the highway, and no error codes log. I figure at this point it will take fatalities for GM to do a recall and actually solve the issue. Some one else said Service Bulletin, the problem with Service Bulletins is it is still a customer responsibility to pay for the repair.

Don't get me wrong I love my Impala, but this is a major issue.
Old March 9th, 2018, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

I recently started having this same exact issue at 39,000 miles. Took it to the dealership. They tell me that the modules are getting wet causing a short & that GM will pay 60% leaving me with a $650.00 bill to pay. I made a call to GM myself & am waiting to hear back from them. I have not even owned this car for a year yet.... and to top it all off the extended warranty does not cover this?????REALLY???? RIP OFF.
Old March 9th, 2018, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Keep at them. The deal to pay 60% is them admitting there is a problem. I was offered 50% coverage on the repair and turned it down. I told them explicitly that by them taking an responsibiliy for the repair they are admitting the design flaw. I had the review sent to the executive review team rather than just customer service. My repair was done at approx 165000km (103000miles) and covered 100% by GM.

Admittedly I provided them pictures showing the salt intrusion and corrosion because of it. Keep on them from the safety issue that this will result in. This system is tied directly to the computer and any shorting from the modules can cause very eradic results in the car. From the auto start not functioning, push start not starting the car to car shutting down during operation.

Good luck
Old March 10th, 2018, 4:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well.... I'm sorry to say that during the last rainstorm we had, I saw a message to service the Side Detection System half way through the trip I was on. Soon after the message appeared on the instrument panel it looks like the system stopped functioning. Now, no leds will light up in the mirrors on either side. The last time the system malfunctioned, the led on the passenger side light lit up and stayed on constantly, even with the car off. After 4 -5 hours the light was still on. I pulled the fuse on that system to prevent the battery from getting run down. I believe last time it was the module on the passenger side. I really hope this is not going to be a reoccurring problem on this car.
Old March 13th, 2018, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

I just got off of the phone with GM again & they are saying they wont pay 100% and that there is no way they paid 100% to fix your car. DO you have any documentation that I can provide them with ?? The person that I spoke with was very rude & refused to escalate this issue to someone above her.
Old April 23rd, 2018, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2014 Impala LTZ with just over 50,000 miles on it. I didnt have it for more than a month when I was struck by another car on the passenger side rear, right where the blind zone module is located. Needless to say it was replaced. Fast forward to 2017, my blind zone detector says its not working and needs to be serviced. I took it to the dealer and he ways I need both modules and a wiring harness. I think I was quoted over $1000.00. I took it back to the body shop because they offered a lifetime warrenty on their repairs. they replaced the wiring harness and the module on the side it was hit. It worked for a while but this last winter, my blind zone warning came on, my reverse warning wont work and my front camera doesnt work.
One service person at the dealer ship told me that the modules will swell up when they get full of salt and water and thats exactly what happened. What kind of system does GM put on its cars that works like that. A large amount of the cars they sell are in areas with salt and snow.
I have always been a GM guy but this makes me wonder. I shouldnt have to deal with this type of stuff on such a low mileage car.
Old April 24th, 2018, 12:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2014 Impala 2LTZ is still waiting to get the blind side repaired. From what I am told by the dealer, the harness is on back-order. While it initially started with just the driver's side not working, it has gotten worse and must have shorted out and taken out fuse # 62 in the under hood fuse panel. I as well have the multiple messages about blind side, camera and related notices on the instrument panel. There REALLY needs to be a re-engineered FIX for this rather than just throw replacement parts at it.
Old April 24th, 2018, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Check www.impalaforums.com Quite a few owners on that site complaining about the failure of passenger side
sensor.
As someone suggested this is a safety defect. People should complain to the NTHSA....
Old April 25th, 2018, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the tip about the number 62 fuse under the hood. I looked today and it was bad so I replaced it and my blind zone alert system is working again. Now I have to go to the dealer to have the error code removed. This fuse also controls the front camera and back up proximity alert system.
It still bothers me that you can replace the part but must go to the dealer to clear the error due to proprietary software.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side Blind Zone Monitoring system not functioning