Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2013, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala LT 4dr 3.5L V6. Ever since i bought the car it's had starting issues. Every once in a while i'll go to start it and instead of waiting a second it starting right up it takes a moment longer and when i let the key go it will still start, but it's as if it has to force itself to start. This happens maybe once a week. Temperatures don't seem to make a difference. I'm wondering if there may be a short somewhere in the ignition system. Anyone have any ideas on what my problem might be? Any input would be much appreciated.
Old October 15th, 2013, 2:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your starter may be going bad is at the moment you try to start your car, If you turn the key and simply hear a clicking sound, or nothing at all or it takes a bit for your car to crank, then it may be a starter problem, make sure about that.
Old October 15th, 2013, 6:35 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

It could also be the fuel pump check valve going bad. If it has to crank about 10 seconds or so before starting then that is the problem.
Old October 15th, 2013, 2:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi teeman,

I realize that your vehicle is out of warranty, but if you would be interested in having your dealership diagnosis this issue, please let us know! We would be happy to assist in a resolution.

Jessica (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by teeman
I have a 2006 Chevy Impala LT 4dr 3.5L V6. Ever since i bought the car it's had starting issues. Every once in a while i'll go to start it and instead of waiting a second it starting right up it takes a moment longer and when i let the key go it will still start, but it's as if it has to force itself to start. This happens maybe once a week. Temperatures don't seem to make a difference. I'm wondering if there may be a short somewhere in the ignition system. Anyone have any ideas on what my problem might be? Any input would be much appreciated.
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always though that if the starter was going bad it would either work or it wouldn't. Would Autozone check my test my starter for free? I'm not hearing any clicking. If it was a fuel pump wouldn't it also die on me? and How do I check the valve? How would you be able to assist me Jessica?
Old October 17th, 2013, 2:25 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

teeman,

I am unaware of Autozone information. If you did have your vehicle diagnosed at your Chevrolet dealership, they would be able to point you in the right direction or try to repair your concern.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care