Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Stupid Dome Light

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2016, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Dome Light

Or stupid me. Ok just got this Impala a few week ago. It was a cop car and it came without the dome light that is over the rear view mirror. I jut put a universal light in and it wont turn off automaticly? before I put the light in the back light would go out if I left the button on. I just went out side and both light were still on. Anyone know what turns them off automaticly?
Old September 5th, 2016, 8:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the bcm.

hard to help you without out knowing what circuit you spliced the new light into
Old September 5th, 2016, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

There was a plug in the headliner where the old light was. Looked into the owners manual and it say for the light to go off the ignition must be turned off the the doors locked. Didnt get a fob with the car so id reach in and look the door and the light will go off. But when I get into the car it comes on and stays on. Starting to wonder if having the fob might be the solution. Just to clarify the origanal dome light was removed before I got the car.

Last edited by scatgo; September 5th, 2016 at 2:42 PM.
Old September 5th, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It should come on, stay on for a predetermined time, then off with the door switch closed (door closed) Fob I don't think will have anything to do with it. The original door light being removed may have been why it has a problem. Again, does it stay on all the time?
Old September 5th, 2016, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

Only when driving. Will go off when I turn the car off and lock the doors. And will come on when I open the door to get in. Door switch?

Last edited by scatgo; September 5th, 2016 at 6:57 PM.
Old September 12th, 2016, 2:45 PM
CF Active Member

The big round circular light on the roof is the original light for the police package. It should have had a push button switch on the side of the light to turn it off and on. This suggest to me that there is always power to that wiring and you need an in-line switch to turn your new dome light out.
Old September 13th, 2016, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks people. Right now I have no power to the front dome light anymore, the button on the dash to open the trunk stopped working and your not going to believe this but not only did to back dome lights stop working when I push the button to turn one of the back dome light on or off the three climate control ***** under the radio will go on or off. wish me luck with this one. The car was in a bad accident prior to me buying it. Maybe the body control module is out of wack because of it.