Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Text Message Capability

Old June 5th, 2014, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Text Message Capability

I Just purchased a new 14 Impala a few weeks ago and was told it had text message alert and read out. For some reason I do not get alerts or anything when a text comes in. The Phone (incoming or outgoing calls)portion works correctly. Does anybody know if the Impala supports this? I have read the infotaiment book and there is a paragraph under messages that states if equipped???

On Page 79
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...mpala_info.pdf

Thanks
Shawn
Old June 5th, 2014, 2:54 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Shawn,

Congratulations on your new vehicle purchase! If you could provide us with your VIN through a private message, we can look at the specifics of your vehicle to verify that this option is available. You are also welcome to contact our Infotainment team at 855-478-7767.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 5th, 2014, 3:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the stock images from early on showed a Text Message app for Impala.
Old June 5th, 2014, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

A Chevy CSR messaged me and stated that is does not have the this feature. I also called infotaiment support and they did not know why some vehicles have it and some don't. They referred to the manual and told me it stated if equipped so maybe it is available on higher trims...ummmm I have the 2LTZ. Just very upsetting since this was a feature I was looking for and was told by multiple sources it had the feature. I wonder if there will be a update to add this feature. Oh well still love it.
Old June 6th, 2014, 3:54 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm not 100% sure that I am remembering correctly, but I thought there was someone else on here a while back that was asking about it and said that they were told the same thing when they bought the car. Sucks that you were told that by your salesman, I guess.
Old June 10th, 2014, 9:12 AM
CF Junior Member

it's not on 2LTZ either. i have to admit it would be really nice to have. i dont use the phone much but not having to keep the radio down to listen for things would be nice.

salesmen dont know it all. i asked about the vented seat and he said it only has it in the butt section, but now i know it has it on the back too. i do sorta find it unforgiveable that they dont know everything about every car though this IS their job and there may be one cool feature that sells a car and lets face it, rain and snow days mean no sales so why not read manuals and play with the cars?
Old June 10th, 2014, 9:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luckydriver
it's not on 2LTZ either. i have to admit it would be really nice to have. i dont use the phone much but not having to keep the radio down to listen for things would be nice.

salesmen dont know it all. i asked about the vented seat and he said it only has it in the butt section, but now i know it has it on the back too. i do sorta find it unforgiveable that they dont know everything about every car though this IS their job and there may be one cool feature that sells a car and lets face it, rain and snow days mean no sales so why not read manuals and play with the cars?
The LT model is different than the LTZ.

Honestly, there are too many options these days, and they do have a wide range of inventory selections to sell with different options/add ons.

I think I would go insane or have a the option booklet with me to answer questions.
Old June 11th, 2014, 7:41 AM
CF Junior Member

The base model 2013 'LS' trim Malibu I just traded in had this feature. I am happy to say that my 2014 2LTZ has this feature.

"You have an incoming text from [ .... ]. You can say 'read it' or 'ignore'.... [beep]."

The text gets read to you by a Siri sounding gal (but with half the IQ and wit). The bad part is that if you get into a text conversation, the above script gets a bit tiresome. At some point you just ignore and read the short reply right off the phone.
Old June 11th, 2014, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LarryFL
The base model 2013 'LS' trim Malibu I just traded in had this feature. I am happy to say that my 2014 2LTZ has this feature.

"You have an incoming text from [ .... ]. You can say 'read it' or 'ignore'.... [beep]."

The text gets read to you by a Siri sounding gal (but with half the IQ and wit). The bad part is that if you get into a text conversation, the above script gets a bit tiresome. At some point you just ignore and read the short reply right off the phone.

So do you actually have a messaging app on the mylink home screen. I also have a 2LTZ, that was purchased a month ago and I do not have this feature. It would be nice to know , but Chevy CSR or infotaiment support could not answer my question when I referred to the manual where is said if equipped. Well what determines if it is equipped? or is there a update to mylink that needs to be done?
Old June 11th, 2014, 9:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by sblavesc
So do you actually have a messaging app on the mylink home screen. I also have a 2LTZ, that was purchased a month ago and I do not have this feature. It would be nice to know , but Chevy CSR or infotaiment support could not answer my question when I referred to the manual where is said if equipped. Well what determines if it is equipped? or is there a update to mylink that needs to be done?

No, nothing to read on MyLink...it's all read through speakers. It would defeat the purpose if you had to read something (you may as well read your phone, then crash into the car in front ).

There is no way to have Chevie re-read past messages either... she only reads new messages as they arrive, unless you choose to 'ignore'. I just wish there was an auto-read feature of the current conversation so you don't get prompted for each text. Then again, you could text them back to call you instead

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Text Message Capability