Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Turn key and nothing happens.

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2012, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn key and nothing happens.

I have a 2003 Impala.When I turn the key,dashboard lights and everything comes on but the engine doesn't turn. It may happen once a day or once a week or even several weeks. Battery checks good.
I am open to any suggestions.
Thanks for your help.

Please Help!
John B.
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before condeming any parts make sure your battery cables are tight & free of corrosion @ the starter & ground.
Old October 6th, 2012, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Im having the same problem in my 2011. All the lights on the dash are lite and when i turn the key to start everything goes dead, no fuel pump, I can just hear some relays under the dash. This didnt happen over a period of time or give me any warning lights. I started the car and drove it in the morning started it up drove home went to use later that day and no start checked the battery and it read 9v. Replaced battery and still no start. Checked the started and its good, when key is turned to start no voltage to the solenoid wire. I'll tell you if I find out whats wrong.
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tomyear1
Im having the same problem in my 2011. All the lights on the dash are lite and when i turn the key to start everything goes dead, no fuel pump, I can just hear some relays under the dash. This didnt happen over a period of time or give me any warning lights. I started the car and drove it in the morning started it up drove home went to use later that day and no start checked the battery and it read 9v. Replaced battery and still no start. Checked the started and its good, when key is turned to start no voltage to the solenoid wire. I'll tell you if I find out whats wrong.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> tomyear1,

Is the vehicle cranking at all? This issue may be battery related (e.g. connection issue). This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer additional information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted. If you have additional questions, please feel free to PM me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 9th, 2012, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

It may be your starter.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

No it wasent cranking, I had it towed to the chevy dealer as it still under warranty. The ECM was hit with a voltage spike, maybe lightning here in Florida. But the dealer was great and replaced it without charge. Now the car starts fine and seems to have more power.
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

It's probably an issue with your battery. When you try to start it, there's no noise at all?