Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Issue

Bought a 2014 Impala V6 over 7000 miles. Love the car, I think it is the best designed and best built vehicle I have ever owned. However, after owning 10 Chevys, 5 bought new, I will never buy another new one.

Replaced the air filter and found a screw and screw hole in the air filter housing didn't line up. The dealer initially said Chevy denied the warranty (I first thought the screw hole nub was broken off). Paid the dealer to replace the housing and initiated a warranty claim with Chevrolet. Chevrolet denied it because the filter I put in did not come from them. When I asked the rep "Is chevrolet saying if I get a part from a parts store it voids the warranty?" She said yes.

That is not how the verbiage in the warranty reads. Since Chevrolet and I guess GM will not honor their warranty I don't see any value in buying a new vehicle from them. In fact I would read into this GM so little confidence in their products they will look for any reason to void the warranty.

Great way to lose a life long customer over $270.

PS I'm a system safety engineer experienced in accident investigation, material defects and auto mechanic work.
Old May 10th, 2014, 8:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a flex fuel vehicle (yellow gas cap) or not (black gas cap)?
Old May 10th, 2014, 1:36 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello Doug,

I am sorry to hear you had this warranty concern. Did you bring the filter to a dealership to have installed? Or did you have this concern after someone else did the replacement? I would like to look into this further for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and Chevrolet dealership name. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 11th, 2014, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Flex Fuel

I do have a flex fuel engine. I think all the 2014 3.6L engines (rated at 305 Hp) GM puts in their sedans are Flex Fuel except for the twin turbo version. The camaros have not Flex Fuel versions rated at 323 Hp.
Old May 11th, 2014, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

This is kind of a test, I don't see how to limit a reply to a private message. Trying the quick reply in the individual post box.
Old May 11th, 2014, 8:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dougs_ss
I do have a flex fuel engine. I think all the 2014 3.6L engines (rated at 305 Hp) GM puts in their sedans are Flex Fuel except for the twin turbo version. The camaros have not Flex Fuel versions rated at 323 Hp.
Nope. I'm not a flex fuel. I tried to find out why but no one could give me an answer around these parts.

So my air box is different and I can't look for this mismatch you speak of.
Old May 11th, 2014, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Interesting, If the Hp difference between the sedans isn't Flex Fuel tuning, I guess it must be in the intake, exhaust or tweaking the tuning a bit.
Old May 11th, 2014, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Doug,

I am sorry to hear you had this warranty concern. Did you bring the filter to a dealership to have installed? Or did you have this concern after someone else did the replacement? I would like to look into this further for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and Chevrolet dealership name. Hope to hear from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Don't see how to make a reply private. Assuming you have access to the database this is case #71-1298001167. All the info would be there. The new air filter housing comes with a filter in it. The dealer said they wouldn't install any part that did not come from Chevrolet. I replaced the filter in the first housing. The issue, misaligned screw and screw hole, probably would't have been noticed until the filter was replaced. Although the screw was sticking out most of the length of the screw. I thought it was miss threaded until the housing was removed from the car. I wasn't sure I was going to get the screw loose. I've always had weak upper body strength and at age 62 it is about gone. The misalignment is a good 1/4 inch on that one screw hole. The service manager at the dealer after telling what Chevrolet pays him to do warranty work and he would want to do warranty work, appeared to look for any reason to explain how I must have caused the problem. The only way changing the filter element could have caused this problem is to stretch the length of the filter housing a 1/4 inch and only on one side.
Old May 11th, 2014, 1:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Doug,

I have just sent you a Private Message referencing your concern. We can also be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com. Thank you.

Kristen A. (Assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care