Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Weather Integration into MyLink Question

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2014, 12:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather Integration into MyLink Question

I was asking about XM and OnStar a while back and ended up getting back onto OnStar when I was asking. Well, Sirius XM sent me an email offering 5 months for $20 and offering to waive the reactivation fee. On Friday I will be driving 1020 miles to Kansas City, will probably put more than a couple hundred miles on it while there, and then will be driving 1020 back. During those long drives I would like to be able to listen to the Jason Ellis show on Faction, so I ended up calling and reactivating.
I also inquired about Traffic and Travel Link and got those thrown in too for another $20, so radio and those two for five months at $40 total.
My question is about the weather integration into MyLink. I only got to drive my car briefly when I first bought it but I could have sworn that at the top of the screen it would display a graphic indicating what the upcoming weather was, that while listening to music or something it would show at the top storm clouds if rain was on the forecast or something. Right now after reeactivating there is nothing up there besides three apps. I just looked at a digital MyLink booklet and the only time it references the top space of the screen is when referring to it as the app tray.
I asked my wife if that is what it looked like before the trial ended and she can't remember. I know that upon purchasing the car you have the onStar directions and connections package and the XM Traffic, NavWeather, and Travel Link, or that is what it showed on my account at the time. Right now I have basic OnStar and Traffic & Travel Link with XM. I don't have NavWeather because the XM site only says the Traffic and Travel Link work with a '14 Impala.

So, is it possible that one of the options that I do not currently have is what was giving me that? Or is it possible that I am just crazy and that wasn't even a feature, that I am misremembering and confusing someone else's display screen for the one in my car (the only person I can think of though would be my buddies G37, and he had that long enough that I should remember that being on his display). Am I losing my mind?
Old April 10th, 2014, 6:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember a map of the US with radar. . If that helps.
Old April 10th, 2014, 8:41 AM
CF Junior Member

That is the only thing I can find, is the weather overlayed over the nav screen. I figure I must be mistaken and I must be thinking of my buddy's car. If the section at the top is reserved as the app tray, I can't imagine there would have ever been weather stuff up there.
Though now that I realize that it wasn't a feature in my car, I kind of wish it was.
Old April 10th, 2014, 9:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EYEL1NER
That is the only thing I can find, is the weather overlayed over the nav screen. I figure I must be mistaken and I must be thinking of my buddy's car. If the section at the top is reserved as the app tray, I can't imagine there would have ever been weather stuff up there.
Though now that I realize that it wasn't a feature in my car, I kind of wish it was.
I tried the weather app this morning on the main page.

"Weather not available"

"Your XM Travel Link subscription has expired. Please contact XM Radio to restore your subscription".
telephone #s
some code.
Old April 11th, 2014, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

i'm still on free trials of everything and can confirm at one point while playing with the screen that i was able to get either 3 or 5 days of weather across the bottom of the screen.

however i'm still trying to figure out what service goes with what lol. heck i dont even understand the need for traffic in my area as they dont have it so it would be a waste to pay for it. i was , however, shocked that one day onstar told me incident ahead and it did save my azz and i went around. i guess thats part of onstar though? or is it XM

see what i mean, i'm clueless
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:51 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm currently in the middle of a 1020 mile road trip to Kansas City an hit a rough patch of thunderstorms near Nashville. It was mid-evening and the cloud had darkened the sky and cause the light sensor to flip the lights on and swap the theme on the screen to the 'night' theme, so at the top of the screen above the nav map it showed a starry sky. Once we got within a certain range of the storms though, the starry sky portion of the screen switched to dark clouds with lightning and rain. So I guess this trip answered my own question. Though it certainly made the whole thing a bit more foreboding to drive towards, because those were some mean looking clouds on the screen.

luckydriver: I'm not 100% but I believe what you were describing was from the XM Traffic option. I had that happen to me today. Pulled into a rest stop to get out and stretch, hopped back in and started the car, and the car then told me something along the lines of "An issue with the traffic on one of the roads on your route has been detected. Would you like to reroute to a quicker route?" It also was displaying sections along the road that I don't recall seeing anytime recently, such as green on the interstate for good traffic and yellow or red for when it was heavy or had come to a stop. There were quite a few times I would look on the map at the road ahead and see that it was red and mentally prepare myself for frustration and stress.

Anyway, 630 miles in but left too late in the day to continue. If it was just myself, I could pull the 15+ hours easily. Don't want to do it with my wife and daughter in the car though. But the car is just amazing... We left around 9:30 AM and finally got off the road and into a hotel at 9:30 PM. I had the air running at minimal-to-mid fan speeds the whole time, circulating 65 degree air, and was runnin the ventilated sea the whole time. I defintingly am going to take a shower first thing in the morning (too beat right now), but the thing is, I don't even feel like I need to. I don't feel gross, I didn't noticeably sweat, it was great. The seat was incredibly comfortable, especially now that the movement module got replaces and I have full functionality out of it. Have it positioned perfectly and I cannot wait to get back on the road tomorrow.