Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

What type of coolant

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2011, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of coolant

So I just bought a 2005 Chevy Impala. I need to buy engine coolant for it because it's really low. The car has the green stuff in it now, but I was told to flush it out and put the pink coolant in it. Whats the difference, and what is recommended for this vehicle?
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If it's green, it has to be assumed that it's the old style coolant. The silicate additives in these coolants coat everything and are hard to flush out. It's probably not a good idea to put DEX-COOL back in there. Just stay with the green and drain/refill every 2-3 years? I'd be more concerned with how the coolant level got low.
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been several years since I changed my coolant (green stuff). Mine is low as well. First thing I did yesterday was buy the pre-mixed coolant, fill the radiator 1 inch below the cap, and filled the resevior 1/2 way. I am going to sit on it for a couple of weeks then re-check coolant levels.

To see if the the levels are dramatically reduced...if so there might be a biggger problem.

As for the coolant type....We bought our "-----" Caravan in 2001, it came with Dex coolant...we were told to keep it the same.

I agree with the last post as everyone I conversed with says the same.