K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

87 K5 idles for 10 min then shuts off

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2006, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 K5 idles for 10 min then shuts off

It would seem simple enough to figure out but I've got some questions based on what little I found so far. This truck never had a problem all the while I've owned it. Always a fast starter no matter what the weather. Bought a new car in Jan and let this sit for several months (I started it maybe once every other month) and now want to get it ready for winter driving. Went out to start but batt was dead. Got a new batt then started her up. Was a little sluggish on initial start as I feathered the pedal for a moment to get it stabilized then let it idle. The check engine light was on but it still idled like a champ. Then after about 8 min of idling the idle speed picked up just a bit (I'd say from idle 850rpm up to 1500) which thought was a bit odd... then about 3 minutes later I figured I'd jump in the cab and pat the pedal to stablilze it. The moment I touched the pedal, it just died... no sluggishness or stalling etc just stopped almost like the ignition was turned off. I then tried to restart it and NO GO. It turns over strong but will not start at all. I tried for about a minute then gave up, let it sit overnight and started the next morning and BAM! it started right up... idled for about 10 min then shut down and will not start again. I then waited about 7 hours, came back to it and started it up great again... but same problem, after about 10 min of idle it turns off. The only difference now is that it doesn't do the increase in idle... just runs for about 10 mins this shuts down without warning.

It sat with half a tank of gas for the several months and I decided the next time I got it started, I'd run down to the corner station and fill up with premium to see if that would clear anything up. Got my gas, made it back home and it died as I put it in park and began to rev it. I pulled the code from jumping terminals A & B. I get a code 15 which from what I could find is a coolant temp sensor reading lower than spec. My question is: does anyone know what's going on with this or any suggestions. What I've done today is replace the PCV and air filter (which was definitely needed) and I bought fuel filter which I'll replace this weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M
Old October 26th, 2006, 2:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 87 K5 idles for 10 min then shuts off

I bet it is the fuel filter my ex girlfreinds didd the same thing because it sat and the gas will turn to varnish
Old October 28th, 2006, 3:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 87 K5 idles for 10 min then shuts off

Problem fixed! After pulling the diagnosis trouble code from the ECM, which was a 15, I replaced the coolant tempurature sensor as required. That did it, problem solvd.