K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

87 k5 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2011, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 87 k5 starting problems

I bought this truck in May of 10' it stalled every time i stopped. After getting it home my mechanic did a tune up and was running fine. Last week it was -10 outside and I went out to start it and killed the battery trying, it was turning over but wouldnt start. I called a tow truck and after a jump it started right up. I replaced the battery to one with higher CCA and ran the truck for about a week. 3 days ago my boyfriend went outside started the truck, cleaned off all the snow and shut it down. I went out 3 hours later turned the key and it started but stalled right away. I had it towed to the mechanic and it started ran for 15 mins and stalled (not sure if I believe this). He replaced the fuel pump, sending unit and harness. Still wont start. He said there is great spark. It turns over strong just wont run. There is no fuel at the injectors and is TBI.
(I have seen a lot of people looking at my question if I need to add more info please let me know, Im new to this) Thank you

I have been reading others posts on here and have come up with a list of things to check:
distributer cap loose?
fuel filter (not sure if he changed it)
accelerator pump?
Blowing out the fuel line
I see that gen 3 engines have fuses for the injectors (how do I know what generation??)
Idol air control
Coolant temp guage (someone posted that this will stop the ecm from letting the truck start)
and ECM fuses a & b (where are these located??)
MAP sensor??
EGR valve poss. stuck??
ECT Sensor???
Ignition Moduel??
He wants to replace the ECM next but after looking at it I noticed it has been replaced before, it doesnt smell burnt and looks clean. I dont have a ton of money to spend right now and if it were warm I would have it here in my driveway doing this myself. Please help me to put a list together in an order for him to try first, or if you have seen this happen before let me know what has worked for you. Thanks again

Last edited by k5chvygrl; January 30th, 2011 at 6:03 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old January 30th, 2011, 4:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go and put a new fuel filter in it, and just for next time if the truck will run for a bit and then die, its usually the filter, not the pump, when the pump goes, it just wont run at all
Old January 30th, 2011, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

It hasnt run at all since he changed the pump. Just turning over, it has great spark. I will check in the morning and see if he changed the filter, I cant see why he wouldnt have but ill ask. Thanks and I will post again after I do
Old January 30th, 2011, 8:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, ill sugesst a few more things because i head back to work tomorrow morn and dont have access to internet
you (or your boyfriend) can take off the fuel line where it attatches to the throttle body, then turn the ignition on, it should spry fuel, if it doesnt then u still have a fuel problem, if it sprays then it is another problem
Old January 30th, 2011, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you I will give that a try. Have a great day tomorrow!
Old January 31st, 2011, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Got the truck running today........It turned out to be a freyed wire going to the ECM. Thank you so much again for your help!