K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Diesel K5

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2009, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel K5

I'm looking for a diesel k5 4x4 because they're awesome, and get good MPG especially for a 6.1 liter V8.
however other than glow plugs, and fuel injector controller unit i dont know what other potential problem components i should look at when buying & driving?
i heard that you want a 700R4 "K" for the heavy duty diesel but should it have certain components in it? (like tempered gears or something) what is the top gear ration?

any info or experience you might have, id really like to hear. thanks
Old August 25th, 2009, 8:18 AM
CF Active Member

No you don't want a 700r4 in anything....when I first bought my k5 blazer it had a 305 and a 700r4 in it. After two months I burned up that 700r4 WITH A 305! I don't know what you plan on doing with this truck but I would only suggest the 700r4 if your going to be doing tons and tons of highway driving and not much else (that overdrive is nice for milage) If you plan on beating that truck even a little bit, try to find one with a th400. Thats a close to bullet proof trans.

Also when looking for a k5 check the floor boards, they like to rot out. So do rockers but thats pretty visable. Other than that if it was kept up a k5 will last forever. Good ol chevy

Last edited by frickenbored; August 25th, 2009 at 8:20 AM.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:03 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by I <3 hevychevys
I'm looking for a diesel k5 4x4 because they're awesome, and get good MPG especially for a 6.1 liter V8.
however other than glow plugs, and fuel injector controller unit i dont know what other potential problem components i should look at when buying & driving?
i heard that you want a 700R4 "K" for the heavy duty diesel but should it have certain components in it? (like tempered gears or something) what is the top gear ration?

any info or experience you might have, id really like to hear. thanks
well if you want the complete package and have deep pockets do a duramax/allison swap into a blazer(iv'e seen this done)that would be the ultimate setup...if looking for an older blazer with a diesel do your homework.still depends like frickenbored said?what will you be using this rig for..if you have access to a militry auction find you an cucv blazer..some come 3/4 ton with a great setup as for running gear,most came with 700 but some had a sm465 4 speed,those militart blazers are setup to conquer...the 700 either a k case or not is the last choice you want,unless like bored said all you do is highway driving then there great..let us know on your decision or findings.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've burned up 12 700r4's that damn t.v. cable is a b. TH400 is awsum. got one from jegs tranny and converter fro under 1000. The military Blazers are quite durable. We still have 1 left running around here on base.
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by nauticstar87
I've burned up 12 700r4's that damn t.v. cable is a b. TH400 is awsum. got one from jegs tranny and converter fro under 1000. The military Blazers are quite durable. We still have 1 left running around here on base.

!

yeah my very first 700 insatll 1400 dollar tranny 250 converter,new tv cable (completly out of adjustment ....lasted 5000 miles hmmm what's that burning smell....learning lesson(expensive lesson)now 3 still sit in the garage awaiting for me to learn to rebuild em...not any time soon as the sm465 has got my interest...

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; August 25th, 2009 at 4:34 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

ok cool thanks for the advice!

im planning on having this vehicle as a daily driver. whether its highway (mostly) or weekend camping, mountain, and snowboarding excursions.
so i think i will keep the 700 in it for the OD.
isnt there a way to beef it up though? (clutch packs or something?) they rebuild pretty easy, but its still a pain in the ***

i almost got a military blazer with 20,000 original mines on it. but it needed interior...and air conditioning... like i said im going to be in it a lot so AC would be nice. idealy i would prefer the millitary model. ive heard nothing but good things. doubble alternators & batteries & heavy duty EVERYTHING. the "K"model 700R4s are way heavy duty too. built with off road priorities in mind. and theyre standard on the millitary ones for sure.
Old August 26th, 2009, 1:34 PM
CF Senior Member

ok cool thanks for the advice!

im planning on having this vehicle as a daily driver. whether its highway (mostly) or weekend camping, mountain, and snowboarding excursions.
so i think i will keep the 700 in it for the OD.
isnt there a way to beef it up though? (clutch packs or something?) they rebuild pretty easy, but its still a pain in the ***

i almost got a military blazer with 20,000 original mines on it. but it needed interior...and air conditioning... like i said im going to be in it a lot so AC would be nice. idealy i would prefer the millitary model. ive heard nothing but good things. doubble alternators & batteries & heavy duty EVERYTHING. the "K"model 700R4s are way heavy duty too. built with off road priorities in mind. and theyre standard on the millitary ones for sure.
yes the 700 can be built like a brick s**t house,better clutches,corvette servo,bigger vane pump,make sure if and when you have the 700 built it's from a reputable builder with warranties..they are not to easy to do yourself(unless thats what you do for a living)im getting ready to disasamble one now to mess with it as iv'e got a 700 graveyard in my garage...yes the military cucv blazers are a very tough truck....so keep us posted of your travels to find that perfect for you chevy....good luck..also if your set on a diesel(good choice)you should try and find a later 6.5 with turbo diesel..they will have a serpentine system on them instead of a bunch of belts..a stock 6.2 u will be dissapointed in it except for mileage and realibility..the newer 6.5's are a better choice even if it's not turbo charged...ive got an old 6.2 with an aftermarket turbo on it...not much power....

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; August 26th, 2009 at 1:59 PM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 2:25 AM
CF Beginner

yeah but the older the easier it is to work on. plus no computers. you get away from the original 6.2 (6.1?) you need a computer for the trans, engine, fuel injectors, ect.
but thanks a lot for the input im gonna hafta be saving and looking for a while i think
other than the trans though. is there anything else i should be wary of?
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
CF Senior Member

yeah but the older the easier it is to work on. plus no computers. you get away from the original 6.2 (6.1?) you need a computer for the trans, engine, fuel injectors, ect.
but thanks a lot for the input im gonna hafta be saving and looking for a while i think
other than the trans though. is there anything else i should be wary of?

since your set on what you want stick to it and dont get in a rush ...as soon as you get something that you want, you can expand on it with aftermarket parts...but a good base would be a great starting point...are you set on an older diesel?
Old August 29th, 2009, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

id love to get a modern diesel but they dont make the blazer any more (way yo go GM management)
so yeah, i think im set on the older model diesel for sure. i was going to get gas and just put a 250 straight 6 in it. but this seems so much more efficient.

Quick Reply: Diesel K5