K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

k5 blazer will not start after it gets warm ?

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2011, 5:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k5 blazer will not start after it gets warm ?

I have a 1991 5.7 k5 blazer having some problems if somebody might can help. It will start then run for a while then it wants to cut off like its losing power after it shuts off it will not start back up until it cools down. I have replaced the dist,rotor,spark plugs,wires,coil pack and fuel filter seems to be getting gas and spark but will not start. And i have checked the fuses the battery is a little week sometimes have to jump it off.
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the coil in the cap?
Old June 14th, 2012, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mud cookie
I have a 1991 5.7 k5 blazer having some problems if somebody might can help. It will start then run for a while then it wants to cut off like its losing power after it shuts off it will not start back up until it cools down. I have replaced the dist,rotor,spark plugs,wires,coil pack and fuel filter seems to be getting gas and spark but will not start. And i have checked the fuses the battery is a little week sometimes have to jump it off.
My 77 K5 Blazer had the problem of not starting until it cooled down. Turned out it was the spring in the starter. It would expand when hot and not allow proper movement until it cooled down. It was replaced and works fine now.
Old June 14th, 2012, 2:32 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1946
My 77 K5 Blazer had the problem of not starting until it cooled down. Turned out it was the spring in the starter. It would expand when hot and not allow proper movement until it cooled down. It was replaced and works fine now.
Are you refering to the bendix, or solenoid? If the starter is hot, and the contact disk in the solenoid is "burnt", you will have issue with what appears a low battery on crank.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Well, not being very mechanically inclined, all I can remember is that the mechanic showed me a spring he had replaced and said it was from the starter. The mechanic was my wife's uncle, a good guy, with no reason to tell us something that wasn't true. He just wanted to help, had experience with Chevys and knew immediately when told about the symtoms.
Old June 15th, 2012, 11:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1946
Well, not being very mechanically inclined, all I can remember is that the mechanic showed me a spring he had replaced and said it was from the starter. The mechanic was my wife's uncle, a good guy, with no reason to tell us something that wasn't true. He just wanted to help, had experience with Chevys and knew immediately when told about the symtoms.
Was it a fairly large spring?
Old June 15th, 2012, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default k5 blazer will not start after it gets warm

Been a few years (about 1980) and that particular brain cell is only working part time. But, if I recall, the spring was maybe 1- 2 inches long by about 1/2 inch I.D.