K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

LS 6.0Lt into an 83 K20 help!

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2014, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 6.0Lt into an 83 K20 help!

Ok, now i apologise here and now if i'm in the wrong sector, however this seemed to be the closest one to help with my 1983 K20 needs!

So a few months ago, i was dead set on buying a K5 from the US.......buying a K5.....buying a K5.........buying a .......oh look at that pretty K20!!

So there you go......stupidly i talk myself into a K20!

Its still in Virginina (i hope) soon to be shipped to me in the UK.

Now, i wanna put an LS 6.0lt V8 into here before she's shipped for two very good reasons......firstly, I think its gonna be more reliable, and secondly, fuel costs! We pay about $20 a gallon over here, so i'd like to get further than my driveway for more than the price of texas!

The guy that i'm buying this off says it has a manual 4 speed in. Is it worth sticking with this, or should i get an auto box too? plus if i do that, do i have to change all the shafts/diffs?

He says look into how hard it is to mate a 6.0 to a gen 1 abc manual transmission and that there are probably adapters that would fit a flywheel from an LS engine that had a manual trans. Also, he thinks that If you change the transmission, I will probably need to get new front and rear drive shafts, as the automatic transmission will probably be longer, but does anyone know if this is correct?

Ive searched the forums and seen a few people do this swap, but not with this transmission.

Any help would really be very much appreciated, and sorry if i'm posting in the wrong place!

David