Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Chevrolet Forum Community > The Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageUsed CarsVendors TSB & Recalls
Search
Welcome to Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

The Lounge Go inside for off-topic discussions on cars, videos, racing, and everything else!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default '01 Tahoe radio sound problem

I have a 2001 Tahoe LT, which is equipped with OnStar (but I don't use it),non bose stereo with factory sub woofer. I replaced the factory radio with a JVC head unit. Used the wiring harness supplied by Crutchfield to hook up the JVC. Problem is I get sound from the radio only some of the time (about 50 percent of time it will come on and stay on). Every time when I turn on the ignition, the stereo powers up just fine, the display looks like it should, but about 50 percent of the time I will not get any sound. Nothing I do will make sound come on other than shutting the truck off and going away for a short time. If I shut the truck off and turn it back on without getting out and closing the door, still no sound. If I shut if off, get out. lock the doors, and walk away then come back in 2 minutes, I may get sound. If the sound does come on, it will stay on (usually - see exceptions below) for however long I am driving around, so it does not cut out once it comes on. If I press one of the OnStar button on the dash - it always cuts off the sound immediately. Then recently, on those times when the sound did come on, as soon as I got up to about 10 mph the sound may cut out. If the sound comes on at start up, I have let it sit for as long as 10 minutes running in park and had sound, but as soon as I got close to 10mph - no sound. Crutchfield says I don't need the OnStar connection module since I don't use OnStar. Saw some suggestions to hook an unused blue and white wire from the JVC to a pink wire on the unused 9 pin plug on the factory harness, and that did not work. Anyone have any ideas?
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 PM
CF Beginner

really your stereo should not even work(no sound) if the pink wire isnt connected to your blue and white remote wire all you would get is power to the deck just check your connections
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

check and make sure all your wires are connected and color coded. as far as the on star goes, if it was connected into the harness to the old deck and no wire for it in the new harness than that could be a problem. does onstar come through your speakers whenever you did use it?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbastard View Post
really your stereo should not even work(no sound) if the pink wire isnt connected to your blue and white remote wire all you would get is power to the deck just check your connections
make sure the connection between the blue and white wire and the pink are connected really good if the connection isnt great your speakers can cut in and out.the pink wire in the dash is the remote wire to the factory amp without it hooked up you will have no sound period
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default Still not found a solution

I have checked and double checked the connections. The problem persists, sometime I have sound and sometimes I don't, sometimes it comes on but then goes away when I approach 10 mph. I don't use OnStar (never have). If the sound is working, I can get the sound to cut out, and it stays off, by pushing the OnStar buttons, so it must have something to do with the OnStar. Still looking for a solution.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

you could always get in contact with your local car audio store. im sure they have encountered this problem and should be able to help.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds to me like the audio shop gave you the wrong/broken wiring harness.

The newer Chevys are temperamental with the Onstar and so forth when it comes to wiring in an aftermarket radio.

Reason include, OnStar is integrated into your stock audio system, along with door dinger, not to mention your stock amplifier. They require a data hub to process all of this info. If the audio shop gave you the wrong data hub, didn't give you a data hub, or someone just tried to bypass all the extras and wired in the radio... All sorts of adverse things can happen, particularly like you describe with the OnStar button.

Also, whether or not you ever use the OnStar doesn't mean you don't have to wire it in with the radio. It absolutely needs to be wired in correctly with the aftermarket radio through a datahub regardless if it's activated or ever used for the aftermarket radio to work properly.

The wire harness for a car with OnStar should run close to $100, with OnStar and Bose, about $120. I've been through this on every one of my post-OnStar vehicles that I've ever owned, and I've been through it with a number of other GM vehicles. I've been wiring in radios forever. Nothing I have ever tried could bypass the need for that datahub without unwanted adverse effects.

One bonus however, is that most datahubs include a volume control for your door chime. I like to turn them all the way down, and no more stupid dinger telling me my door is open.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
'01 Tahoe radio sound problem-datahub-png  

If you had to replace a Silverado every 50K miles, it'd be the best selling too.

Last edited by shouldaboughtachevy; 02-16-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Added photo of data hub
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

you dont need the bypass module at all unless you want to use onstar and want the door chime.i've wired up mine and has worked fine to this day with out this module
Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 AM
CF Beginner

if you don't want the dummy chime or onstar all you need is a metra harness # 70-2003 then take the red wire off your aftermarket radio and attach it to a switched accessory wire I always use the brown wire in the main ignition harness and make sure you use a inline 10 amp fuse also. but it sounds to me like you have a defective part with a bad solder joint inside cause what is happening is instead of getting a constant voltage youare most likely getting the output for the Vehicle speed sense (vss) wire which come thru the data system and why it is cutting out after a cetain speed. if you need wiring help or and ?'s get ahold of me
Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
CF Beginner

Problem solved?? Not sure how this fixed the problem, but my vehicle battery was recently replaced (it was several years old and weak, but still started the Tahoe every time). The sound was more likely not to work the colder it was outside, which would correlate with a battery related source for the problem. Since replacing the battery with a new one, the intermittent sound problem has only occurred once in three weeks of driving, instead of about 50 percent of the time. So there must be some device that was not getting enough juice from the old battery that was causing the sound problem. I have not seen what happens now if I push the OnStar button (this has always killed the sound) - I don't want to spoil my luck. Happy to have the radio working.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Tags
04, 2001, 2002, connection, hook, ignition, onstar, pink, radio, sound, stereo, suburban, subwoofer, tahoe, wire