Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Chevrolet Forum Community > The Lounge
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

The Lounge Go inside for off-topic discussions on cars, videos, racing, and everything else!

Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Small Block Chevy In A Mustang

hey guys im new here and im 17 just starting to learn some stuff and im building my first project car i myself hate ford motors but i love mustangs so i thought sense i have been around small blocks chevys all my life and pretty much know them like the back of my hand i would put one in a mustang. I am looking to build a 355 to equal out about 500-600 hp on nitrous to put in it its a 85 mustang Lx came with the 2.3 ford and its a 5pd can anybody help me with some ideas to get it in there were using the 355 with a turbo 350 tranny i know im gonna have to do something with the motor mounts and make a drive shaft but is there anything else that is really gonna play a major role in gettin this motor in there. I appreicate all the comments and posts Thanks Greg.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM

Default RE: Small Block Chevy In A Mustang

i actually just finished a project. an 88 fox body, got a 396 small block in it. the biggest things you are going to come across are the frame and the core support. the frame will have to be cut and extended out that way the motor will fit in there nicely. it is almost better if you get a whole new frame built but you can do it this way. next you will have to push your radiator further foward towards the front of the car. that is if you still want a clutch fan still. you could go with an electronic fan, no more than 2 3/8 inches thick. the only problem is it does not cool as well as a clutch fan. which if you are running nitrous i would recommend keeping. the steering should not present a problem though. as far as the tranny you will have to make a custom crossmember for it. and the weld in supports for the frame. if you are wanting to run 5-600 horse through it this is a must. as you said the driveshaft will have to be made. but there are plenty of guys that can do that. as far as the driveshaft goes i would reccomend trying to find someone that uses heat and not weights to balance the shaft. you will get a much better ride and take up with it. you will also have to beef up the front suspension being as the small block is a lot heavier. if you have any other questions let me know. i hope this helps get you going in the right direction.. it sounds like a lot but it will be well worth it in the end
Old 03-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Administrator
Ride of the Month
April 2009
2000 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

Send a message via ICQ to EvansBlue Send a message via AIM to EvansBlue

Interesting....

<br>
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM

ok heres the problem i see with that how come u could put a 302 in that no problem a 350 block is really no bigger than a 302 so that is where im kinda lost i was gonna swap raditors out with a chevy one and thought that would be ok i do plan to run electric fans maybe see how money goes that wise this car is going to be a daily driver also so its not gonna be a COMPLETE race car i just want something no one else have ever done around here has ever done and i know chevy better than anything else i can think of plus i mean i hate ford motors with a passion so that kinda adds to it i know motor mounts probally and trans mount and a driveshaft would be a must but didnt think all of this
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM
CF Beginner

ok you guys--youv've got some good ideas--but here's the real scoop---I have a 10 second 1988 mustang gt with a sbc 383 stroker motor and a th400 trans. the whole engine install took me 5 hrs. so heres how you do it
1) remove stock k-member--buy a competition engineering k-member--$280.00
2) cut the ford mounting brackets off
3) call jegs--buy their--front motor plate kit--$90.00 and mid plate--$35.00
4) install k-member---bolt on the front motor plate and midplate between engine and trans
5) midplate will need trimmed--approx---2 1/2 inches on both sides
6) drop engine and trans in the car--resting the front motor plate on the inside front edge of the sway bar mounting brackets--buy (2) 4 inch L brakets from local hardware store and bolt them to the front motor plate and the inside of the fram rail to hold the front motor plate from moving
7( buy (2) heavy L brackets--home depot--2 inches wide--1/8 in thick--drill 5/8 hole in the midplate and 2 holes through the inside fram rails and bolt together---make sure you have the engine and trans at the level you want--check to make sure thhe trans does not hang below the fram rails.
8) make a trans crossmember--if in a hurry out of 1 1/2 angle iron--drill up through the fram rails into the car--straight up---and use 5 inch 3/8 bolts and nuts to anchor--the find your center for the trans mount and drill hole---and bolt throught the angle iron to the trans mount.
9) call --S&S headers--in glendale az--they make some 1 3/4 headers that bolt right on the motor--without lifting the engine to install
10) have driveshaft made up---most driveline shops will charge you $240.00
I WILL POST YOU SOME PICS---MY SBC ENGINE HAS MORE ROOM THEY AND FORD ENGINE IN THE SAME BODY--EXCEPT A 4 BANGER
ALL OF MY BUDDYS RUN MUSTANGS--WITH FORD MOTORS AND HATE HOW MUCH ROOM I HAVE AND HOW EASY IT IS TO WORK ON
11) YOU CAN RUN A ELECTRIC WATER PUMP AND FAN--OR STOCK SHORT TRUCK PUMP AND A FAN.

THIS CAR RUNS 10.30'S ON THE MOTOR---9.50'S ON A 100 SHOT OF NOS
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 PM
CF Beginner

Oh!!!! I bought a 4 core aluminum radiator from jegs--$160.00 bolted right in--no problems--and hoses are flex hoses.
THE HEADERS FROM s&s COST $395.00--AND i SWEAR TO GOD--YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW THEY JUST DROP IN.
SO YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DROP THIS MOTOR AND TRANS IN ON A SAT---FOR ABOUT $1000.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO NOT LET ANYONE **** YOU ABOUT BUILDING A SET OF HEADERS FOR $1200--TO $2200 ---THE S&S HEADERS WORK
I CAN SEND YOU ALL THE PICS YOU NEED TO SEE HOW I DID MINE

Last edited by mixed emotions; 06-14-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

The original post is really old. I would still love to see pictures. I personally like ford and Chevy, my daily driver is a Chevy but I have had a 1993 mustang GT since 1996.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
2001 Chevrolet Custom
My Garage

Send a message via AIM to blondie_190v Send a message via Yahoo to blondie_190v

very interesting..
Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 PM
CF Beginner

I ran across this on the internet after doing some looking aroundI just recently baought a 88 foxbody mustang very cheap and had a 350 out of my old camero I was wanting to put it in my mustang, That camero was runnning 8 sec flat in the 1/8 and it was a 1980. I just need to know what headers to get and where to start.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

hello i have a 90 mustang lx with a small block 400 in the stock k member i ahd a 350 tbi in it before but now i am havin a problem with my steering nuckel is hitting the manifold and it also covers the dip stick tube i wanna put headders on but jejg tols me i have to buy a new k member has anyone done this befor with stock k member
Old 05-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Tags
1991, 396, blk, block, body, chevrolet, chevy, engine, fit, fox, headers, motor, mounts, mustang, small, swap