Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

01 Malibu wont start, theft light always on

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 01 Malibu wont start, theft light always on

I would like some help with this. My 01 malibu is sitting in the driveway for the past 3 days... After reading many treads i went and change the lock cylinder with no result. My old cylinder was damaged (a lot of usage 430000 kms) so i still needed to change it and i went to the whole put key on ACC and wait 10 min for the computer to recongnise the new cylinder but it still wont start, it does not even crank, any ideas??
Old August 24th, 2011, 9:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Does the security light stay on? You might try disconnecting the battery ground for 30 minutes, then hook it up, and try that.
Old August 25th, 2011, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default 01 Malibu wont start, theft light always on

I will go and try that right now. The light stays on as soon as i turn the key to ACC. I was able to drive for a while with the light on but then one evening, it just did not crank anymore. Keep you posted.
Thank you

Disconnected the batery for over an hour, still wont crank and theft light still on as soon has i turn the key and stays lit.
Any other ideas??

Getting frustrated...

Last edited by dsab; August 25th, 2011 at 9:19 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. See my post #4 in thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/mal...es-more-42282/ on the THEFT SYSTEM indicator. A solid THEFT SYSTEM indicator usually means the BCM declared a Hall effect sensor tamper condition. You did reconnect the three-wire connector (WHT, YEL, and BLK wires)? Also with the Passlock system, the ignition switch and lock cylinder (rekeyed to the original key) are usually replaced together. It sounds like either a fuse blew or the ignition switch is busted in addition to the Hall effect sensor wiring problem.
Old August 26th, 2011, 8:52 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. See my post #4 in thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/mal...es-more-42282/ on the THEFT SYSTEM indicator. A solid THEFT SYSTEM indicator usually means the BCM declared a Hall effect sensor tamper condition. You did reconnect the three-wire connector (WHT, YEL, and BLK wires)? Also with the Passlock system, the ignition switch and lock cylinder (rekeyed to the original key) are usually replaced together. It sounds like either a fuse blew or the ignition switch is busted in addition to the Hall effect sensor wiring problem.
I agree. If the theft (anti-theft) fuse is blown that is the symptoms it will have.
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default 01 Malibu wont start, theft light always on

i did reconnect the 3 wires. i got the ingnition switch complete with lock cylinder at a scrap yard. The guys there started the car from wicht it came from in front of me so i know the switch works. you guys mentionned the theft fuse or a fuse, where should i start looking?
I got the car batery charging right now cause i got my hands on a OBD2 and attempted to erase the codes but the car batery went dead before i could perform the whole test...
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You originally stated that you "went and change the lock cylinder" and you now seem to be implying that you had changed the ignition switch as well and "the car batery went dead" in the meantime. It sounds like you have electrical faults (I had mentioned "a fuse" in a generic sense) on top of the Passlock problem. Mind, the latter will not prevent the engine cranking. Anyway, I really don't have a suggestion for you on how to proceed at this point.
Old August 29th, 2011, 2:00 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by dsab
i did reconnect the 3 wires. i got the ingnition switch complete with lock cylinder at a scrap yard. The guys there started the car from wicht it came from in front of me so i know the switch works. you guys mentionned the theft fuse or a fuse, where should i start looking?
I got the car batery charging right now cause i got my hands on a OBD2 and attempted to erase the codes but the car batery went dead before i could perform the whole test...
If your looking for security/theft codes on the obd, you have to have a full scanner for that model as it is passkey, not a passlock. Passkey system is alot more difficult to work with than passlockI, or II.
Old October 27th, 2014, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default have you figured it out

I just drove my car parked it and it won't start the alarm keeps going off. I need help. I did the lock and unlock. Take the cable off for 30mins and all. Nothing
Old October 28th, 2014, 3:19 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by harmonie82
I just drove my car parked it and it won't start the alarm keeps going off. I need help. I did the lock and unlock. Take the cable off for 30mins and all. Nothing
I have not posted in ahwile, the only reason for this is to try to help out with the security issue. I had the same issue a few months ago (again), i had to replace the worn out ignition switch in my 96 lumina. That cured it. I am sure Allen in NE will correct me.